Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter
2947720

Typical overheating at idle in traffic. I just put coolant

Customer Question

Hello, typical overheating at idle in traffic. I just put coolant in yesterday and sitting at idle for long periods, the temp gauge shoots up and the red check gauge lights up.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: Going to chaven't seen any signs externally as of yet.heck for a leak first,
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 04 F350 crew cab
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This just stared, a few months ago I had this problem and just added coolant. Seemed fine for a couple of months, then noticed it heating up again 3 days ago. When driven at highway sppeds the gauge drops back to normal, when I got home it took 2-1/2 gallons to refill.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 158,000 miles, new radiator and thermostat at 153,000
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. That may have been the original problem that caused an overheating

.

However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

.

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

..

.

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.