Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Where do i begin. failed readiness and MIL commanded

Customer Question

where do i begin. failed readiness and MIL commanded emissions. also shows catalyst, EVAP, and EGR not ready. they told me to go drive it for 50 miles and come back.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no, but i've been reading autozone will lend you one?
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Ford Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model of your '50 Ford?
Customer: sorry not '50 but f150 1999
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just gettin started
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: when i bought it the seller told me the speedometer and odometer didn't work but had the replacement. so i replaced it. that threw the anti-theft system on and took it to dealer to get new key. problem solved. except replacement speedometer and odometer still dont work
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 5 months ago.

have you made a drive cycle of about 75 miles at different speeds, on the highway, on other side roads.?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not yet, just picked it up, but was curious on what i can do otherwise.

nothing. until the drive cycle is completed

How to Perform a Basic Drive Cycle

Step One: How to Prepare Your Vehicle

• Have the fuel tank between 30 and 70 percent full. Some systems, especially the EVAP system, need to have a specific level of fuel in order for the tests to be trusted. If the fuel tank is near empty or completely full, many of the basic tests will not run at all.
  • The vehicle must also have a good alternator and a strong battery. If you have to occasionally jump-start your vehicle, all of the memory from the powertrain control module (PCM) is erased, which includes the data that accurately tracks the results from various stages of the Drive Cycle. Also, if the battery is weak or undercharged, some of the most important tests will never run.
  • The vehicle must sit overnight, or for at least eight hours, in an environment that is less than 90° F. The engine temperature needs to match the air temperature in order to establish an accurate baseline for the testing. If the outside temperature is over 90° F, the fuel is too volatile and the EVAP system won't even try to run its tests, though some of the other emissions systems may run their tests.
  • The keys must be out of the ignition and all of the doors must be closed while the vehicle sits over night because many of the onboard computers "boot up" when the keys are in the ignition. Also, many of the onboard computers still run until all of the doors are closed after the vehicle is shut off and the keys are removed.

Step Two: The Cold Start

• Start the vehicle and let it idle for two to three minutes in Park or Neutral. While it is idling, turn on the head lights, heater/defroster, and rear defroster for a three to five minute warm-up phase. Let the idle speed settle down to near the normal speed.
  • Next, put the vehicle in gear and drive through city streets at about 25 mph. Go up to about 35 to 40 mph a few times before slowing down to stop. Don't roll through the stop; be sure the car is really stopped, just like you learned in driving school. Accelerate from each stop in a normal fashion—not overly conservative, but not like you are competing in a drag race either.

Step Three: A Short Freeway Trip

• After the vehicle has been cold started and driven for a few miles on city streets, the next step is to take it on a short freeway trip.
  • Enter the freeway on-ramp and allow enough room with respect to other vehicles so that you can do a 1/2 to 3/4 throttle acceleration up to freeway speed.
  • When you have accelerated up to around 60 mph and have safely merged into the flow of traffic, stay in the slow lane and maintain a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for a minimum of five miles. Please use the cruise control to help you maintain speed.
  • Find a nice, long off ramp to exit from the freeway. As you exit, take your foot off of the accelerator and let the vehicle coast down until it stops under its own power as you complete your exit from the freeway. Do not use the foot brake and do not shift gears until the very end of this "coast down" phase.

Step Four: More City Driving

• After you have completed the freeway trip, drive through the city streets for a repeat of the second part of Step Two.
  • Go up to about 35 to 40 mph a few times and then maintain a city speed of 25 mph before slowing down to stop. Again, don't roll through the stop and make sure to accelerate normally.
  • Pull in to a parking place and let the engine idle for one to two minutes and then shut it off.

Step Five: Have your Readiness Monitors Checked and Verified

• Drive your vehicle to your regular shop and have them re-check your readiness monitors, present codes, and pending codes. They should do this as a courtesy and for free.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks. i'll work on it this weekend.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
any advice on the speedometer/odometer issue i added?

give me a while on that one. thanks

what engine do you have in the truck?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
4.2L v6

thanks

replace the vehicle speed sensor on top of the transmission. that should do the trick

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
k, will let you know. tks

you bet

any luck?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got sick over weekend. Better now, will get back on it this week.

get well.

any news?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry. Work is sucking the life out of me. This is going to have to be a Saturday morning project.

ok my friend

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Saturday project turned into Sunday. Then, got the wrong part. I can either choose to blame Autozone or myself for not looking at it first. But there sight was pretty specific on speed sensors that are on the transmission and those that are on the rear differential, which I've already replaced. Guess its back to Autozone but don't know if I can get back to this today. Sigh!

ok. well keep me posted. thanks