EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Something is draining the battery dead. have replaced 3

Customer Question

something is draining the battery dead . have replaced 3 batterys in 3 months . new alternator, but had to take battery with warranty back , when they checked battery said it was dead each time.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: yes.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2001 ranger . it,s my dads with about 140,000 miles.
JA: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes . we put in new alternator. but after a couple days , battery dead again.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: there seems to be something draining battery dead fast.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 7 months ago.

Hi. The most common cause for battery drain is from the audio unit. I have some some modules, including the instrument cluster cause a drain too. But what I would recommend is accessing the radio and disconnecting it and see if the drain goes away. I do not recommend just pulling the audio fuse at this point because it does control other items.

Let me know if removing the radio is something you can do or if you need instructions on that. Thanks.