A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

How r u? fine thank you. I purchase a 2005 ford escape, it

Customer Question

Hey, how r u?
JA: I'm good. And you?
Customer: fine thank you. I purchase a 2005 ford escape, it turn on for second and then shuts off
JA: Glad to hear it. Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: after getting a diagnostic with a mechanic, they are getting the following code : P1A10 (Hybrid Powertrain Control Module Battery
Disabled)
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: no, haven't reset it, how to I do that? which one of the reset buttons?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the mechanic is telling the hybrid battery pack needs to be replaced is that true?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 8 months ago.

I highly doubt it is the Hybrid Battery. They need to check the actual engine battery under the hood and then follow the pin point test below.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm a bit confuse by your answer. I got the diagnostic from a mechanic, but I am not going back to him because he is telling me I need the replace the battery and based on what I have read in the internet, its not a hybrid battery problem.
What do you recommend for me to do? Let me know.

Was it a dealership or independent repair shop?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
an independent shop. the car doesn't start and taking it to the dealer will cost me $$ just on moving it.

The Hybrid system is not something to pay with because it has very high voltage like the power lines on the power poles. The amperage can kill you if you do not properly disconnect everything to take the voltage out of the circuits.

The electrical system will need to be properly diagnosed per the pin point test I posted earlier. Guessing on these vehicle can get very expensive.

I would recommend getting a second opinion on the problem.