Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2011 Ford Escape with a battery light comes on

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Ford Escape with a battery light comes on randomly and doesn't stay on. Took it to the Ford Dealer and they checked the battery and the alternator and they said both were good.
JA: Have you checked the battery's voltage?
Customer: They did
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a 2011 Ford Escape with a battery light comes on randomly and doesn't stay on. Took it to the Ford Dealer and they checked the battery and the alternator and they said both were good. They said the battery was good and the alternator was charging well. This has been happening for a couple of weeks. Within those 2 weeks 2 different times I would even lose power steering and front dash display for 1-2 seconds (you hear a click sound) and then power returns.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. make sure the negative battery cable is tight where it connects to the engine. also make sure the positive battery feed going into the fuse/relay panel isnt loose or corroded.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will check those. If they are ok, do you have any other ideas?

sure. the wiring from the connector for the alternator could be damaged. I would thoroughly inspect it and look for ant bare spots or chaffing.

any update?

hello??????

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry needing to wait for the weekend to work on it. I did manage to check the battery while the battery light is on. Alternator still charging with the light on. 14v. Will have an update on the weekend. Thanks!!

ok. thanks.

any update?

do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, I visually inspected the ground and wires coming to the fuze box. I don't see any issues and no corrosion or anything loose. Even on the battery. But I lost power steering for about 10 seconds yesterday and then it came back and was fine the rest of the day. But the headlights at night were "pulsing".
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I get into checking all the relays and fuses? It seems to be affecting random items that rely on power and not consistently.