Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2000 f350 I have changed plugs and coils. It works

Customer Question

I have a 2000 f350 I have changed plugs and coils. It works for a while and then starts running ruff again. I ohmed some coils found one that was high and changed fixed problem. After a month it's back. What makes the coils fail so fast any answer? I am a farmer and it's a service pickup that only gets a couple thousand miles a year.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

What brand coils and plugs are you running?

Have you monitored the coils to confirm they are getting full battery voltage?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are accel coils and autolight plugs. No I haven't checked for that.

Thanks,

My first recommendation is to use better products as the failures continue to occur. You really need to be using motorcraft plugs and coils. The 2 you mentioned are very cheap and poor quality. I can not even guess how many of those I have had to remove and throw away and they still looked new on the customers car.

Next which ever coil fails next, verify its getting battery voltage to rule out that circuit to blame. Next would be to use a scope or noid light to test the ground pulse to the coil to see if the wire is grounded constant or to see if the PCM COP drivers are faulty and grounding the coil to often and overworking it.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been told that the Ford coils aren't very good either. But can try them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How about the ticking noise under acceleration. Sounds like when you used to advance the timing to much in old engines.

Coils are going to fail, any brand. Its how long they last and can operate at 100% that is important. I have heard the motorcraft coils are not good as well when talking to customers and when wasting my time reading blogs. Most all of those are customers over 70k on there vehicle mad because one or more coils have failed. Coils are going to start getting weak in the 70-110k range.

Can you create the tick in park or in gear or while brake torquing. Meaning anyway to make it occur when not moving?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can try and see if it will. I would say that these coils and plugs have 500 miles on them.

Thanks, ***** ***** touch.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris