Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2006 ford f-150 rwd, 4.2 v.6 standard transmission.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ford f-150 rwd, 4.2 v.6 standard transmission. The problem I have is the truck doesn't want to turn to the right and then when turning back to the left there is a clunk and then turns freely. Thinking that it might be the steering shaft, I sprayed blaster on the u-joints and tried again with no luck after letting it sit for a hour or so. I then removed the shaft and it seemed fine with just a little play in the bottom one or nearest the rack and pinion. I then reattached the shaft to the rack and not the column. with it as straight as possible vertically, I attached a vice grip to the shaft between the ujoints attempted to turn the wheels and it still turned very hard to the right and after the same clunk going the other way it would turn easy to the right. I just removed the rack from the truck and with a vise grip directly on the shaft on the rack, it turns freely both right and left. Could this be because there is no resistance on the rack. It seems smooth both ways.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. If you disconnected the outer tie rod ends from the steering knuckles on both sides can you manually rotate each wheel in and out smoothly? The joints on the steering shaft hinge all ways freely? how is the tire pressures? let me know about all these things and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been trying for a half hour to find a place to answer you and this site sucks to say the least. Yes I have checked both knuckles, the air pressures are good and the shaft u joints are free in every direction.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is my only choice here as I don't have cell coverage here. I have used this site before and it was easy to chat, but something has changed.

and the coil springs all look good no cracks?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
they are not broken

How many miles are on the truck?