Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ok F-150 5.4 liter engine. Drove it to the parking lot

Customer Question

Ok F-150 5.4 liter engine. Drove it to the parking lot stopped turned off the engine and went inside. Came out and the engine turned over about a quarter of a turn and stopped. Battery is good new alternator and all I get is it barely turns then nothing. All other electrical stuff works. What am I looking at as my problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 6 months ago.

It sounds like you either have a bad connection on the battery cables, or the starter is going bad. Can you tap on the starter with a broom handle with some one trying to start the engine and see if the starter kicks in and turns the engine over?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery cables are very clean. I have wiggled them to make great connection and they are tight. I get a slight turnover but that is it. I'll tap on the started and see what happens.Matt

Will the cable ends move on the battery posts or are they tight enough so they do not move?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
NO they are very tight!

Did tapping on the starter get it to turn the engine over?