Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

I have a 2007 Ford focus SES with manual transmission. I

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ford focus SES with manual transmission. I went to drive it today and the gear shift felt a bit "loose". I shook the shift lever back and forth casually and then it would not shift out of neutral. No grinding or any odd noise. The shift lever is now a bit loose but not "floppy". Thought that maybe the gear shift linkage had broken. Pulled off the shift lever boot but everything there looks OK. Any ideas?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Clutch was fine. Not slipping. Had no trouble shifting previous to the sudden failure today.
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to decide if its something I want to try to fix. A net blog I read described a problem with a sheared "ferrell pin" that sounded like the same problem but I've never heard of a "ferrell pin".
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** of the time this is caused by an issue with the shift assembly in the transmission itself. The selector assembly has a teflon ball that wears out and causes this. This will need to be removed from the transmission and replaced.