AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

How to replace 2009 ford escape ignition cylinder, when the

Customer Question

How to replace 2009 ford escape ignition cylinder, when the key is turned no crank no start, I did put in ignition switch and a new starter. Please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Does the engine not crank over at all? Are you looking for information to diagnose this no crank condition or would you like me to send over info on how to replace this component? Is it the lock cylinder and key or electrical ignition switch?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well I removed the lock cylinder, with the key I turned to all 4 positions, on the run position the cylinder never pushed out, it remained at the same level for all 4
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

What remained the same?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No push out to the switch
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

May I please have your VIN?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The truck is over at my buddies
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
4 cylinder
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After replacing the cylinder how to program the old key to new cylinder
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Insert a programmed ignition key (can be an IKTor a standard PATSkey) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position.

Leave the key in the ON position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds.
Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the first key.

Within 10 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert a second programmed ignition key (can be an IKTor a standard PATSkey) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position.

Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the second key.

Within 20 seconds of turning the key to the OFF position, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new PATSor IKTkey) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key from the OFF position to the ON position. Leave the key in the ON position for a minimum of 6 seconds (this additional 3 second time frame allows for the RKEdata transfer to take place, if programming an IKTkey).

NOTE:The new key will now start the vehicle and will also operate the RKE functions, if there are 4 or fewer IKTkeys programmed to the vehicle.

Start the vehicle with the new key.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Hello!

I see you have viewed my last reply but have not responded back. I am just checking in to see if you have any further questions or to see if you still need help with anything? If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help. If I have answered all of your questions, please dont forget to honor the good faith rating system to complete this conversation.

Thank you and have a great day!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Replaced lock cylinder and had it keyed to the vehicle key, still no crank no start
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like it needs to be diagnosed..

Would you like help with this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please, when the key is turned I hear a relay clicking in the engine compartment but the brand new starter does not turn on
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

I am not sure why you did not respond back or ask for help.. I am hear to help you. So please, if you dont understand something or if your at a stand still, PLEASE ASK so we can move forward.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

So lets continue.

I assume there is no power to the starter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I was running around for my girls, it's her truck
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

NO problem.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
True starter isn't getting power, the solenoid doesn't turn on
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Ok, you are going to need to check the inputs to the starter relay. It should get two powers and one ground with the key in the CRANK position.

Be sure the computer is grounding the relay and that there are no anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how to check that
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

You could use a test light or a voltmeter.

You would do this with the relay removed, testing the female pins of the starter relay with the key in the CRANK position.

Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where would that be located,
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Battery junction block under the hood.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
which relay am I looking for
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Starter relay

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got it, now where should I put the leads
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Inside the terminals where the relay plugs into.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

It'sCustomerand I just wanted to check in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well still no start no crank, I'm not sure if I was checking it right, no turn of the starter,
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

Did you have power going into the starter relay?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone? It would be much easier for both of us..

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 months ago.

Hello!