Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1976 ford 460 withe a crank centering hole that

Customer Question

i have a 1976 ford 460 withe a crank centering hole that measures 1.8320 and the only converter that i can find has a pilot ot 1.8450 needles to say it won,t fit what is going on or what am i doing rong
JA: What year is your Pilot?
Customer: all the torque converters that i can find have the 1.84 and the original car that it came out of was a galaxi
JA: Do you have the torque specs?
Customer: not usure what you are asking for it is for a 1850 stall
JA: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the hole in the crank in what it is my problem i cna't find a torqueconverter to fit they are all to big by .010
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am putting this into a f250 pickup and the c6 has a shift kit in it and the engine is built for pulling
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Can you remeasure the pilot hole after you clean it up with some sand paper and see if it will measure 1.848? Some times the old converter will cause a lip to form on the edge of the crank. I have had to use a 3m sanding disk to get the hole cleaned up enough to get the converter to go into the hole. They only make two size pilots for the c6 the 1.848 and the 1.375