Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 1994 ford f150 4.9l engine/auto trans. runs fine until

Customer Question

my 1994 ford f150 4.9l engine/auto trans. runs fine until engine fully warmed up, then usually during up hill lugging (but not always) the engine seems to surge, miss and lose power along with sensation of the transmission disconnecting (this means that the rpm's can accelerate yet no speeding up occurs). I then stop off the road, shut engine off for 3 to 5 minutes (this seems to "reset" something) and I then get 1 to 5 miles of good strong power. then it starts all over again. vehicle/engine have 165000 miles.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Are you looking for possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?