A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a 2004 Ford Taurus that had an error code P1633.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a 2004 Ford Taurus that had an error code P1633. After some research, I have determined that the best course of action is to disable the AC Compressor. What is the easiest way to go about doing this so it will fix this error code?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: It has about 135000 miles. I went to AutoZone and used their code reader
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm attempting to. When I took it into the auto place, they fixed my idle air control valve and replaced the fuse that does with it. That worked until I turned on my AC
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I battery has gone dead from this, would a charge up from another cat fix the issue?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 month ago.

If you are not replacing or repairing the AC compressor and compressor clutch at this time, you will need to unplug the AC compressor clutch and replace the fuse till you are able to repair the AC compressor. The clutch on the compressor is shorting out causing the fuse to blow and the P1633. It is the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) fuse and Fords bright idea was to put the AC compressor clutch and KAM circuits on the same fuse.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is the AC Compressor Clutch located and what tools will I need? I agree that this wasn't one of their more brilliant ideas?

It is located on the fan belt pulley side of the compressor. See below.