Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2013 Ford Escape. The battery died. The car was

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Ford Escape. The battery died. The car was jumpstarted. I drove it to the dealership to get the battery replaced. When I picked the car up - the heating/cooling and vents no longer functioned. I took the car back and the dealer is charging me for this repair claiming that these things can happen when there is a disconnect in the electrical. And I was also told that there will be more problems with my vehicle. A vehicle that only has 41,000 miles on it. Is this typical when a battery dies?
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: I took the car to a dealership for a diagnosis and they replaced the battery, an oil change was also done. They are replacing the HVAC whatever to the tune of $464. If it was the thermostat or coolant, wouldn't a Ford Dealer Tech know to check these things?
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no. I took the car to a Ford Dealership
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, dont let them do anything until they recalibrate the hvac actuators. dont let them bs you into anything else.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciate that information. I can certainly call them and ask about the recalibration - which I am sure I will be told it has been done and I still will have to replace this HVAC part. I just wanted to know that I am being inappropriately treated and I plan to take up action once I get my car back. I just want the car I had before a stupid battery died.

when a battery is replace, NOTHING else needs to be replace. the actuator need re-calibrated, the computer may need to relearn the engine sensors, but thats it.