Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

2011 f 150, FX4, 104,000 miles. oil pressure gauge goes to 0

Customer Question

2011 f 150, FX4, 104,000 miles. oil pressure gauge goes to 0 and warning buzzer comes on at idle, revving up a few RPM's it will go away. this happens mostly when in the morning when you stop for a light. truck can be parked all day and it very seldom does it in the afternoon. Dealer can not correct problem, factory suggest taking engine apart to find problem at my expense.
engine runs good does not run hot, idle rough or hot. HELP
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The first thing to do would be to connect an oil pressure gauge and check the actual pressure at idle when the engine is fully warmed up. Has this been done?

There a multiple things that can cause low oil pressure. Does the engine make any noise or tapping sounds?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
dealer did not say what the oil pressure was at idle. will have to call him on Monday. I do not hear any noise or tapping sounds.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You could try replacing the engine oil pressure switch.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
talked to dealer this morning, He said they did check the pressure sending unit. where is the oil pressure switch on a 2011 f-150 5.0????
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

The switch and the sending unit is the same thing.

Oil pressure switch is number 4 on the diagram below.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks