James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford Escape Hybrid tells me to stop safely now. 2005, Did it

Customer Question

Ford Escape Hybrid tells me to stop safely now.
JA: What year is your Escape Hybrid?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Escape Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Did it about a month ago. There was a battery fan motor recall. So I took to the dealer to check codes and do recall. He put in spark plugs and did recall but said nothing showed up. This morning got the message before I even pulled out of the driveway..
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I turn it off, it starts right back without the coded showing up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

Hello, did you ask about this vehicle earlier?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No... I am not with the car now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just want to know how to find out what is wrong when this error appears. It always starts back up and runs for a few miles before appearing again.
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry but without a scan tool that can monitor for codes in the high voltage battery module. Without knowing the code it is a guessing game. I gave you a very good explanation earlier. Working on hybrids without correct tools or knowledge is very dangerous. The high voltage system can kill someone if they make the wrong mistake. The high voltage system is overheating and you need the correct scan tool to test the correct modules. There are over 10 different on board computers on this vehicle. I am sorry that without the correct scan tool you can't get the correct codes to know what is wrong with the vehicle.

Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry my answer doesn't get you any further but I don't want anyone to get injured while trying to work on a vehicle. That is why I recommend not letting just anyone working on this vehicle. Having someone who has training may seem more expensive but it will save you money.They won't need as much time to determine your problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I will try the dealer again.
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

did you go to the dealer today