Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I am looking for a FORD/MERCURY MECHANIC WHO'S FAMILIAR WITH

Customer Question

I am looking for a FORD/MERCURY MECHANIC WHO'S FAMILIAR WITH AC/HEATING/VENTILATION/EMISSIONS/EATC VACUUM SYSTEM in FORDS.
We finally painstakingly replaced the heater core in my: 2001 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer VIN# (1FMZU84P21UB24312) w/Automatic/Dual EATC/Climate Control AC.
Question: How do I get the air to blow out of the front cabin (VENTS/FLR/DEFROST)? Although, It DOES blow in the rear cabin when rear's are turned on.
BTW - There wasn't a drop down Category listed as Ford. Only UK Ford. No US Ford either.
Notes:
-This problem existed prior to replacing the Heater Core.
- Tested working are the: Fuses, Blower Motor and Blend Door/Blend Door Actuator. Although, I couldn't feel the air :directly in front" of the blower wheel while it was spinning. This was the far lower right passenger side under the dash while the Vacuum motor flap would be open. But, I think that the wheel UNLIKE A FAN blows to the side into the AC/Box Plenum rather than straight ahead. Correct?
-There are (3) disconnected vacuum lines in the engine compartment. (1) - is a black thin disconnected vacuum line stemming from this dangling plastic softball-sized globe (I believe to be The Vacuum Reservoir?) which isn't bracketed anywhere btw. The other line from this vacuum reservoir IS however connected into the engine. (2) is a black thin disconnected vacuum line which looks melted/sealed shut probably from the hot engine. It stems from somewhere underneath the AC/Box Plenum possibly going into the firewall. I'm thinking this "might be" a continuation of the 1st line(1)? and (3) is a gray thin disconnected vacuum line with an "L" shaped fitting on the end. It stems also from somewhere underneath the AC/Box Plenum possibly going into the firewall. I installed a Heater Control Valve and think that maybe it (the gray one with L-shaped fitting) plugs into that (the Heater Control Valve)?Nevertheless, I'm not getting any airflow to the front vents/def/flr.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The vacuum supply line coming from the vacuum storage reservoir on the black vacuum line at the EATC control panel. I have enclosed the Factory test steps to check the the system in the link below. Have a look at the complete file and start your testing at pinpoint test H-1.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Ford%20Ac%20system%20Oct%2021.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Ron,
I appreciate you sending me that diagram (a lot of which I already have) but, 1 - I'm not a mechanic, so I'm not used to reading these check-test diagrams and don't know understand a lot of it, or where some of the terms are located in the car. 2 - Inability to maneuver the test diagram (or search for anything, H1 for instance). Unfortunately since I'm using a Mac OSX, I cannot search for this pinpoint test H1 or when I click on any of the "GO to's" or "Blue" areas, nothing happens. Once I FINALLY found it on page 56 out of 185 pgs, it didn't make sense. H1 - says "Check the airflow in "each" setting." Well, there is NO airflow in ANY settings. That's the issue. So, I cannot move past H1.
3 - It's difficult to understand your answer to my question (How do I get the air to flow out of the vents? Will plugging these vacuum lines up solve the issue? Other than the check-test diagram, your answer was, "The vacuum supply line coming from the vacuum storage reservoir on the black vacuum line at the EATC control panel." Is the Vacuum STorage Reservoir that plastic softball thing? Which is the vacuum supply line and what am I supposed to do with it. What is it that I should do here?
The reason why I numbered (3) vacuum lines in my question is so that someone could "just tell me" where they go. I can test the vacuum on each of them but "still" don't know where they each plug into (for eg. Does this Vacuum Supply line come from the vacuum storage, that black globe again?
Sorry, once again....I'm not a mechanic.