Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

03 ford explorer no crank no start

Customer Question

03 ford explorer no crank no start
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
03 ford explorer was running started fine but at a stop light died. Now it's a no crank no start.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ivan Alvarez replied 6 months ago.

Do you still have power to lights, radio ect.?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I trunk the key and all dash lights are on blower motor works but the radio somehow doesn't work

Is this the 4.0 or the 4.6 model? I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm pretty sure it's the 4.0

Do your head lights work?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Haven't checked that.
I should be by the car in 15 min

OK.

Once you have a chance check the #12 fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. It should be a 50 amp fuse usually red in color. With a test light, if you have one, turn the key in the on position and see if the test light comes on when you touch the top of that fuse. It should light up at both ends of the fuse. this fuse supplies power to the starter relay and the ignition relay.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One end lights up other doesn't
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Headlights work
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Left one lights up right one doesn't
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Taking that plastic cover off the test light lights up

With the clear cover off and fuse installed do both sides light up?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah

Ok. the next fuse you need to check is #29 in the fuse box behind left side of dash. Should be a ten amp fuse.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No light
Fuse is good

This fuse will only have power to it when you have the key in the cranking position. So when you test it try cranking to see if power is sent to this fuse.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Power is sent to the fuse

Ok. The next thing you need to check is to see if power is getting to the starter when cranking. The wire you need to test will be the smaller of the two that go to the starter. Put your test light on that wire and have someone crank it to see if the test light lights up.

I will check back with you In a couple hours.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No power to starter smallest wire I tested and some one is cranking
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could you make the question available to other experts I'm by the car now and won't be here much longer
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Have you swapped the starter relay by chance in the fuse box out under the hood? See if you can swap it with the blower motor relay and see if it cranks then. Let me know what happens. Thanks.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

C1017 is the starter relay. and the blower relay is right beside it. be sure not to pull the PCM relay, it has to stay in to start.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does it matter if they are two different number on relay?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Are the pins the same? do they look like they will interchange? I'm not positive on that model. If the pins look the same and you have the same number pins I would try it. It won't crank now at all correct?

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

If the relay is numbered, jump pins 30 to 87, with the relay out of the socket with a small jumper wire, and see if it cranks then.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
well the relay was missing I put the blower motor relay to the starter relay and started right up thanks for the help eddie