Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

2002 ford excersion 7.3 stock, 200k miles, accelerating to

Customer Question

2002 ford excersion 7.3 stock, 200k miles , accelerating to get on highway, transmission went in (neutral) , park works, but nothing else. No transmission problems at all ,of any kind up till this. Fluid full ,dull red, but not burnt.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 8 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set with this issue here.Once this has been done the codes are then diagnosed to locate and repair this fault.If the shifter is moving and it is shifting into park and holding then I dont suspect an issue with the shifter or shift cable causing this fault here.I have seen issues with the transmission fluid pump that can fail suddenly and cause this as well as other internal transmission components with sudden failure like an input shaft or an issue with a broken band or internal gear shafts break.These can fail suddenly unfortunately.

If no codes are set then the transmission will have to be checked/tested further to help in pinpointing the fault.This may require removal of the transmission for inspection and repair as it may need taken apart as I have had to do several times before as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I used a obd2 no codes were present , except for the one that was there before ( #6 ) glow plug inop. Going down on ramp , between 60 and 70 miles per hour , no strange noise whatsoever , just the engine rpm went up a little and vehicle coasted to a stop. I am trying to make sure with a degree of certainty 70 to 80 % , that replacing the transmission will fix the problem. Are there any sensors , or any or component that can be changed that would cause , or fix this problem?
Expert:  Pete replied 8 days ago.

If the engine revved up when in drive when this occurred and then coasted to a stop but acted like neutral this sounds like an internal mechanical fault.There are no sensors that will cause complete neutral like this here.It is possible that the transfer case has an internal mechanical fault and shifted to neutral or that the actuator moved due to an internal fault on the transfer case and put it in neutral but this sounds more transmission related.This will need to be inspected further to locate and repair this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete