Good afternoon and I hope your Wednesday is going well. I thank you in advance for looking at my Question it is truly appreciated.
Vehicle: 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition 2WD with the 4.6L Triton Engine
- Speedometer is pegged at 100mph as I drive over 35mph the Speedometer will back
down to around 80mph. Once in a while it goes all the way back to 0 and starts
working again but not for long.
- The entire Instrument Cluster will go dead for a split second once in a while but comes
back to normal instantly, (except for the Speedometer).
- The Odometer will go blank once in a great while but comes back if tapped.
- I have put the Instrument Cluster in the Instrument Cluster Test Mode and gone to
the ENG which shows the MPH Digitally and the Speed on it is Correct even though the
Speedometer is pegged at 100mph.
- I have a Monitor hooked up through the ODB II Socket and it shows the MPH correctly
even thought the Speedometer is wrong.
- All other Gauges work correctly except when the Cluster goes Dead once in a while for
a split second
- The Truck drives normally no Transmission
- VSS Replaced but Old one was OK
Is this an Issue with the Instrument Cluster? This is what I am led to believe which leads me to the next issue.
- I wanted to remove the Instrument Cluster to send off to be repaired but since my
Truck has the Ford PATS System on it, when I remove the Instrument Cluster the
Truck will not Start.
So my Questions are:
- Do you believe the Issue is with the Instrument Cluster?
- Do you have any information that might determine this or fix it otherwise?
- Is there a way to remove the Instrument Cluster so I can send it off but still drive the
truck, (outside of buying another Instrument Cluster and going to the Dealership to
have them program it to my truck then turn around and do the same to the one I get
If you can give me some knowledge that will help rectify this situation I am happy to pay. Again I thank you for your time and assists it is truly appreciated. - Robert