Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Have a 2006 6.0 powerstroke. for the past year it has

have a 2006 6.0 powerstroke. for the past year it has struggled to start. hot or cold. now it cranks but no start. have readings of 1.0 on FICM sync, 14.7 on ipr then jumps to 84 when I crank. and hpop of 0 the whole time. I unplugged the icp sensor and hpop will go up to 1200, still no start. have taken the fuel filter out and the fuel bowl fills up when the key switch is cycled. what do you think it could be? maybe stc fitting it up valve?

Hi I'm a ford senior master diesel tech and I would like to help you out. Lets look at your current no start issue, The problem is that you have 0 ICP cranking. ICP is injector control pressure. basically your high pressure oil pressure. It needs to reach a minimum of 500 psi before the pcm will tell the ficm to fire the injectors. So a high pressure oil leak is your problem. First to check the low pressure system verify engine oil is full, then remove oil filter and use a screwdriver to close the drain back valve at the bottom by pushing it down and have an assistant crank the engine. If the oil filter bowl fills up with oil then the low pressure system is ok. If it does not then you have a low pressure system concern, if it is aerated with tons of tiny air bubble then you also have a low pressure system. If the low pressure system proves to be ok then your problem is most likely in the high pressure system. Since it is at 0psi cranking your stc fitting may have broken and that is a very common failure on 05-06 powerstroke diesels. The other possibility will be the IPR valve but from my 14 years of experience a bad ipr always generates at least some ICP while cranking. Fo example if the IPR failed wide open the high pressure system should display the same engine oil pressure as the pressure system while cranking, usually 20-30 psi. Since you display 0 it tells me you have a large high pressure oil leak most likely from the stc.

As far as your previous hard start cold and hot you may have another issue going on there. FICM sync displaying 1 is unclear to me. The ford scan tool I use will display Ficm Sync as YES if its good. That proves cam/crank sensors are ok. High pressure oil leaks from a leaking but not failed stc fitting will cause an extended crank/hard start when hot but typically not cold. When cold and will not start you want to check your ficm M power to the injectors, this can be viewed as a pid on the scan tool or manually checked at the injectors or by using your dvom on one of the small bolts under the ficm service plate with the key on. You want to check it as quick as possible after it is keyed on. you need 48 volts, anything less than than 45 will cause hard starts when cold. if the power starts at 48 and then continues to drop when keyed on then the ficm is weak and will need to be replaced as well.

If you have any other questions or concerns please write back. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The part about the voltage on FICM was good. it stayed around 54 when cranking. I thought I had a bad stc fitting. So the bad thing is last night I tore it apart, so I now have my hpop out and the fitting out and all. I don't see anything wrong with the stc fitting. I never did think to check the low oil pressure. is there any way I can check it with the truck tore apart or do I have to out it together first? also since I have it apart I was looking to go ahead and replace the stc fitting and put new gaskets on it. Does ford dealership sell the upgraded verison?

Yes the dealership sells the upgraded stc fitting that is all one piece and will not break.

You could still crank it and check for low oil pressure when it is apart but you have to have the oil filter housing in place and unplug fuel pump if lines are disconnected to prevent shooting fuel everywhere. If you IPR valve screen is damaged a new ipr valve would be a good idea while your in there as well

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. ipr valve screen was fine, and no trash. I have the fitting coming tomorrow so I will replace it, put it back together and then get back with you

ok sounds good thanks. Remember it will take excessive cranking to fill and bleed air out of the high pressure system before it fires. Don't expect it to start with a five second crank it will take alot of cranking. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I crank the truck and the oil bowl does fill up. Does that mean it's lower oil pressure, and not anything in the HPOP?

No if the oil filter bowl fills up that means the low pressure system is ok and the problem is most likely high pressure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got the hpop back together and all is done. took the oil filter off and pushed down on the valve in the bottom and it filled up with oil. so the low pressure system should be good, correct?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hey Matt. if you could get back with me. I'd appreciate it. kinda stuck on what to do next

Yes the low pressure oil system should be fine if it filled up. Did you replace the stc fitting and put the pump back in the truck? Did you crank it for 2-3 minutes to bleed air out of system and build high pressure oil. If so what was your high pressure oil reading when cranking?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been cranking a good bit. charging batteries now. still the same as before. my hpop psi doesn't even move while cranking. but when I unplug the icp sensor it will go to about 1200-1400.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just curious. is there a way to test to see if the injectors are getting fuel also? Maybe there is a issue between the last filter and the injector?

If you are getting 0psi of ICP pressure when cranking, there is a problem with the high pressure oil system such as an internal leak.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. so just to update on all that's going on. for months I've had a delayed start. now it's crank no start. got a scan tool. I am getting 1.0 of FICM Sync. FICM volts stays around 54 when cranking. ipr starts at 14.7 and then when cranking it goes to 85. hpop stays at 0 the whole time. I unplug my icp sensor and it then the FICM voltage around sync stays the same. the IPR goes to about 67 when cranking and the hpop goes to about 1400 psi. still no crank. fuel bowl fills up when key is cycles. oil bowl fills up also. took the hpop apart. didn't see any problems. I went ahead and replaced the sct fitting and the ipr screen and put back together. still no different.

You are still getting no ICP pressure, when you unplug the ICP sensor, the PCM sees that the signal is gone and automatically defaults to a preset reading, that is what you are seeing on the scan tool, it is not an actual reading, only what is preprogrammed into the PCM. when you replaced the IPR screen was the old one damaged or pushed in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. there was no damage to it at all. very little trash. but while it was apart I replaced it along with the stc fitting.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I pushed in on the inside of it, and it felt like it was seating properly.

Okay, then you most likely have and internal leak, there at special tools that block off the oil rails to test the high pressure pump, if you could borrow them or know a mechanic with them, that would be your next step, then an air test to see if you can pinpoint the leak with the sound of air escaping. Being a 2006 model, it most likely is a leaking dummy plug in the oil rails.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you give me a name of the tools or anything specific so I can try to get some. would a local advance auto maybe have them?

I will get you the tool number and supplier, it will take me a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help. is this what is going to plug screw in where the icp sensor is?

Yes that is where the iCP sensor is going to read the pressure from the pump to the rails, this eliminates the injectors. I looked on advance and they don't list it, but I found this site.

http://www.freedomracing.com/specialty-tools/ford-lincoln-mazda-tools/diesel-tools/303-1163-icp-blockoff-plug-set.html

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. I finally for the air test tool for it. I was able to put it on . My compressor only does 90lbs psi but I put it on and no leaks that I hear. Do I need to do something with the ipr valve?

If there are no leaks and you have tried a new IPR and still no ICP pressure, then the high pressure pump must be defective.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. I kept doing it and I began to hear what sounded like air bubbles somewhere. It was dark so I couldn't find anything yet. But I do think there is a leak. I'm going to have to take my air intake back off to see farther.

I would pull the valve covers and check the oil rail dummy plugs before going after the high pressure pump, if they have not been changed for the updated part, it would be wise to do so anyway.

Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience: 30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm hearing the leak from the driver side of the motor . I guess I will remove that cover first. Once I remove the cover I should be able to do the air test and see exactly what's leaking. Correct?

Yes that is correct, you will be able to tell if it is the dummy plug or possibly one of the injector orings.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where I can put my finger over where the 3/8 drive is right there and cover the leak. Would that be a dummy plug leaking?

Yes that is the dummy plug, it is a common failure for the orings to blow out the new part has updated and tougher orings.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I need to replace the standpipes also. Or just leave them alone. OR is there a way to see if there still good