Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter
2947720

My 2016 Monterey (Freestar) surges at stop. It did this

My 2016 Monterey (Freestar) surges at stop. It did this before a recent Tranny Replacement, put in new spark plugs and O2 Sensor. Mostly when its not warmed up, sometimes Goes away after allot of driving,
JA: Are you fixing your Monterey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had a independent Mechanic look at it, he put in the plugs and O2. Runs better, but did not solve the odd pulsating surge. Recent Oil Change, RXP in the fuel.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Starts pretty good, not perfect,better after the new plugs, Haven't noticed fuel change. 123,000 moles
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Which engine/trans is in it?

I remember that they stopped making them in 2007. Is it a 2016 model year?

Do you still need help with it?

Rather than opening up duplicates, let's stick to this post, thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi jerry, Yes I still need help. Thanks

I see, thanks.

Has the throttle body been cleaned on it yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
BTW it goes away in the afternoon when it is warmer, +90, even when the engine is cold

It sounds like there could be a problem with the intake air temperature sensor. They won't set a trouble code and will sometime give all types of problems in different air temp conditions.

The only way to know for sure though is to replace it and it is part of the MAF sensor on that one. They even show a good reading on the scan tool but I have seen some that were bad, (giving a pretty bad surge at idle and at tip in).

We, (the experts) are only paid by your positive ratings.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I'll look into that and get back with you.

Okay, thanks.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** Thanks