Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

2001 f250 7.3 diesel 6 spd manual transmission 230K.

Customer Question

2001 f250 7.3 diesel 6 spd manual transmission 230K. Occasionly hard to shift into gear, getting worse over time. Most noticeable when the tranny is warm.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 10 days ago.

the first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air out

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

If this doesn't help then next check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.

Then check gearbox oil levels and if its not been changed in the last 20K miles then drain it off and fill with fresh. I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known it help with shift issues on many manual gearboxes

Expert:  Matt replied 5 days ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you