rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2013 f150, 5.0 engine. Yesterday the truck ran

Customer Question

I have a 2013 f150, 5.0 engine. Yesterday the truck ran fine, my wife went to take the kids to daycare this morning and suddenly it will not start. The battery and starter were just checked 2 weeks ago during replacement so these are ok. The truck turns over however it does not fire. the truck was last driven last night, everything seemed perfectly fine. It sat overnight outside in the driveway until a couple hours ago when my wife tried starting it. It did rain last night, but cant imagine that would do anything.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: the battery is new, replaced two weeks ago. Its fully charged, I had her test it with our battery charger/ tester with me on the phone. no corrosion, leaking or smell of any kind. Everything checked out fine.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its dead in our driveway at the moment. I would like to fix it myself to save costs of towing and repair bill. I have not tried anything else as of yet. Started looking online to see if I could find users with similar issues and ran across this site.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

The problem can be a loss of spark or fuel. You can check for spark at the plugs with a spark tester.
You can check fuel pressure with a gauge and both of these tools should be available to you at your
local parts store for rent or purchase.
You need to check for any stored codes in the computer with a code reader or a scan tool.
The code reader only gives the codes and definitions, where the scan tool gives you all
the needed data to diagnose the codes.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HI Ron,thanks for your help. I was able to get the issue resolved yesterday after some digging. Since it worked the night before and didn't in the morning, I figured I would check fuses. It ended up being a blown 20 amp fuse on terminal # 27. If I recall correctly this is the fuse for the fuel pump. Replaced it and it started right up. why it blew is anyone's guess, so far so good but we will need to wait and see if we have any other issues with it.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the information and please remember to rate me for my time and direction. Glad you got it fixed, but remember, fuses do blow for a reason.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron