Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Have an 1997 f150, the right side of the dash was dark, so I

Have an 1997 f150 , the right side of the dash was dark , so I removed the cluster replaced the 4 --194 bulbs. Reinstalled the cluster and now the whole dash doesn't work ,not a thing , everything. Was working perfectly ...how could the gem module Fail So quickly ???

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

The GEM module should not be to blame here. The brittle wiring or circuit board on the instrument cluster is more likely to blame. I recommend getting the cluster back out and confirming its getting power and ground. If that is something you can do, I have the wire diagrams to help you.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good morning moose am a tech as well this just blew me away after only replacing a few bulbs which I've done 100 times in the past !!i bought another cluster from the junk yard cause my odometer also wasnt working and same problem . I visually inspected the circuit board and spread the terminals on all 3 connectors . Now on the flip side my windshield has leaked when it rains and occasionally the wipers would turn on by them selves and can't control them to turn them off I tried 2 used wiper switches and the 2nd one seemed to slow down the problem . Also checking the fuses in the dash . Seems like I have too many fuse that have no power on 1 side of the panel . Thx for the help !
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey moose please let know what I need to check to infirm that its not the gem module . It was the end of the day and i didn't check for power or grounds at the cluster terminals . I was aggravated by this time and wanted to go home . Lol!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey moose have you forgot me ???
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey moose need a answer about my issue with my truck . Did u forget. About me ??

Sorry was towing most of the day.

The fuse box CJB would be more so to blame than the GEM. Can you remove the CJB and GEM to see if your leak has gotten inside either and caused rust and electrical arcing?

At the cluster can you confirm the 2 RD/YE wires are power with the key on.

RED/WH power all the time

PK/OG and BK/WH grounds

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thx for responding moose , did u mean pink and orange ??? I have to check , but all of a sudden at the same time I decided to change the cluster bulbs the dash craps out , but like I said about 6 fuses are dead at the panel on the right side . I guess I have to chi nd get back to ya when I have an answer . Thank you !!!

PK is pink

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi moose yes I know pk means pink but whats OG mean ?

Orange

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Chris I haven't had the chance to work on that f150 .this is my personal vehicle and been too busy working on customers cars , u know money comes first . If I have the time later in the week I will let u know what I find . Thx !!!

Thanks for the update.

As I mentioned before this post is due to time out, that is tomorrow at 9pm.

That means you will have paid for help but not resolved the concern and it means I will not get anything for helping.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Chris did u receive my last response ??i don't want u to lose money , but at the same time how can I rate you if I didn't fix the problem yet ?now if I rated u well ,,,,can we continue our conversation without any additional cost ???

Rating the post is the only way to prevent it from closing. Rating does not stop the conversation between us.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok Chris so what would you like me to do ?

My goal is to help customers and get rated in return since this is my income and a rating is the only way I get paid. If you do not want to rate me, I can opt out and let others help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok Chris did u read and understand my prior text that I haven't worked on this truck since we started this conversation . Ive been very busy fixing other vehicles , It's my understanding that u rate someone based on information that fixes the concern . How can I do that if I haven't worked on the truck since . I not going to throw away money so u can get paid and the info that is provided to me doesn't fix my problem . So if u were in my shoes , what would u do ?if I can still reach u about this concern after I rate u then there's no problem .

As I mentioned rating keeps a post from closing, it does not close the post. You have already paid all the fees to get this question answered. Rating good , bad, or not at all does not effect that already processed fee.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Chris , ok , I finally got a chance to work on this f150 again today . I removed the fuse panel with the gem module and visually inspected it for corrosion and saw nothing .seperated the gem module from the fuse box and removed the circuit board and inspected it and cleaned it with electronic cleaner and again no corrosion . , removed the cluster and checked for power at the cluster connectors while unplugged and both of the white connectors have 3 terminals with voltage . the black terminal is dead . Back to the fuse box under the dash , the middle row of fuses, the 5th fuse down from the top is a 20 amp , it has no power and the last 2 fuses on the same row at the bottom , a 5amp and a 15 amp also have no power . What could've possibly happen here , I only changed 2 cluster bulbs which I've done 100 times before , and never this !!! Thx Chris !

Can you verify by number which fuses are not powered?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/Fuse97.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sure I can if you need me to , but won't be till tomorrow .
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also I failed to mention that with the cluster connectors disconnected and my test lite attached to the positive cable for the grounds ,,, I had like 10 grounds between all 3 Connectors . Something s not right here . Thx
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok Chris I was on line to get the fuse ID numbers for you . # 16 is the 20amp fuse but its for my hi beams , they work . fuse# ***** is the 15amp starter relay , truck starts fine , now fuse #20 is a 5 amp fuse and it 's for the GEM module/ CTM module and power train control module . Hope this helps Chris .

Fuse 16 is only powered with the high beams on, is that when you checked this fuse for power?

Fuse 21 is only powered while the key is held in the start position so the engine will crank, is that when you checked this fuse for power?

Fuse 20 is only powered while the key is held in the start position so the engine will crank, is that when you checked this fuse for power?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Chris I need an answer please , this is why I don't like to rate anyone until my problem is resolved u got paid , I gave you 5 stars which u shouldnt ve. Gotten cause the attitude u had for what ,,,, not to finish our diagnosis ???
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Chris I apologize for that last email . I didn't know u responded on my end till I saw u answered my question . I had the truck running with all accessories turned on . Wasn't aware bout the hi beams or the cranking fuse till I checked it last nite . Unlike most car manufactures fuse boxes are labeled for what they control but not ford . But the 20 amp fuse is the gem module and pcm fuse . I was wondering if I run a battery positive wire and momentarily touch the 5amp fuse to see if the dash works , would that tll me that the gem module is bad ?? What do u think , thx !!

Have you confirmed when starting the vehicle that fuse #20 is not briefly powering up already? No your steps I do not believe will tell you if the GEM is bad. Do you have a scan tool to check the GEM?

Would you like the instrument cluster diagram to see everything it needs to work?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey chris , no I haven't checked fuse 20 while cranking , yes I have a modis , can my scan tool check the GEM , wasn't aware of that , would u know what steps to take or will the modis direct me ?. A cluster diagram may help if u have one available . Thx !

You should be able to scan all modules to see if there are GEM codes stored or the inability to communicate with it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/97f150.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok chris I will try that this week soon as get my first chance to do o and I will check to see how fuse 20 is while cranking too . , thx for the quick response !

Your welcome

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Chris how u doing . Ok I hooked up my modis today to the f150 and went into program of the main menu for gem for any codes , and scanner reads . No communication . Key is on and everything. Is hooked up properly with the correct obd key .. Scanner works fine with engine code diagnosis . Whats the next step . Thx .

No communication with the GEM means the GEM is not getting power or ground or the GEM module is bad.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok so whats the next step here , there are 3 connectors that plug into the gem module . Would u be able to explain to me what I need to check and at which connectors ? Thx .

I am on vacation till Wed and replying from my phone now. I can opt out to let someone help now if you can not wait?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No problem Chris , I can wait till u get back from vacation . Get back back to me then enjoy ur vacation !!

Okay, reply on Wednesday evening or later

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok .

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey Chris how's everything , wanted to reach out to ya about my f150 cluster problem but been busy and now with the holidays am not sure if iLL be able to get on this issue again but I will try . ILL keep u posted . I did however remove the fuse panel and GEM module and inspected it for any corrosion and removed the module from the plastic gem case and cleaned it with electronic cleaner but no luck . What possibly could've happened here . I only replaced the 4 194 dash bulbs ?? Everything was working fine sice I've own this truck for the past 3 yrs !!!!can t understand it .

I honestly do not know what else to say nor offer. I can opt out or I can send you Ford wire diagrams or pinpoint tests. I just do not believe I can diagnose this not being there in person. What would you like me to do?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I guess if u can send me the wiring diagrams u have available I will take it from there . Do u know of a way to check the GEM module ? Thx .

In this link are all the diagrams I have access to. Each one opens up into 1 or many sheets of diagrams. Which sections would you like.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/GEMmod.png

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess fuse box and gem module to cluster