Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Have an 1997 f150, the right side of the dash was dark, so I

Customer Question

Have an 1997 f150 , the right side of the dash was dark , so I removed the cluster replaced the 4 --194 bulbs. Reinstalled the cluster and now the whole dash doesn't work ,not a thing , everything. Was working perfectly could the gem module Fail So quickly ???
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

The GEM module should not be to blame here. The brittle wiring or circuit board on the instrument cluster is more likely to blame. I recommend getting the cluster back out and confirming its getting power and ground. If that is something you can do, I have the wire diagrams to help you.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Good morning moose am a tech as well this just blew me away after only replacing a few bulbs which I've done 100 times in the past !!i bought another cluster from the junk yard cause my odometer also wasnt working and same problem . I visually inspected the circuit board and spread the terminals on all 3 connectors . Now on the flip side my windshield has leaked when it rains and occasionally the wipers would turn on by them selves and can't control them to turn them off I tried 2 used wiper switches and the 2nd one seemed to slow down the problem . Also checking the fuses in the dash . Seems like I have too many fuse that have no power on 1 side of the panel . Thx for the help !
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hey moose please let know what I need to check to infirm that its not the gem module . It was the end of the day and i didn't check for power or grounds at the cluster terminals . I was aggravated by this time and wanted to go home . Lol!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hey moose have you forgot me ???
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hey moose need a answer about my issue with my truck . Did u forget. About me ??
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 days ago.

Sorry was towing most of the day.

The fuse box CJB would be more so to blame than the GEM. Can you remove the CJB and GEM to see if your leak has gotten inside either and caused rust and electrical arcing?

At the cluster can you confirm the 2 RD/YE wires are power with the key on.

RED/WH power all the time

PK/OG and BK/WH grounds

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thx for responding moose , did u mean pink and orange ??? I have to check , but all of a sudden at the same time I decided to change the cluster bulbs the dash craps out , but like I said about 6 fuses are dead at the panel on the right side . I guess I have to chi nd get back to ya when I have an answer . Thank you !!!

PK is pink

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi moose yes I know pk means pink but whats OG mean ?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 days ago.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Hey Chris I haven't had the chance to work on that f150 .this is my personal vehicle and been too busy working on customers cars , u know money comes first . If I have the time later in the week I will let u know what I find . Thx !!!
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 day ago.

Thanks for the update.

As I mentioned before this post is due to time out, that is tomorrow at 9pm.

That means you will have paid for help but not resolved the concern and it means I will not get anything for helping.