A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

03 ranger 2.3 how to replace the cam secrinizer

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Are you replacing the sensor or the entire housing?

Sorry. Wrong I had the wrong year. Just the sensor I assume?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think it's the whole thing it's my friends truck it's goes where the distributor would be

The 2003 Ranger 2.3L only had a cam sensor mounted on the valve cover and reads a trigger wheel on the cam shaft. Are you sure it is a 2003?
Can you give me the VIN#?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's 03 his probably just wrong where is the cam sensor what this truck does is it bucks like crazy but no check engine light 2 new fuel pumps and mad sensor his changed

Did you have any code at any time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No

What other parts, if any have you already replaced to fix this problem besides the fuel pumps?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maf. fuel filter. tps clutch

Manual or automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Manual new clutch

Sorry for all the questions, but I need you to be my eyes and ears on this truck since I cannot see it.

Does it do it only in gear while driving or can you duplicate it in neutral while revving the engine up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Driving only
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any idea

Did it do this with the old clutch?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Can you list all the sensors and parts you replaced and also, does it do it constantly or intermittently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only thing that makes it run right is when he disconnects the tps his put 4 new ones ford and after market no change

Ok. I think we are on to something.

The TPS uses reference voltage to send a signal back to the PCM (Engine Computer) to tell it the throttle position. You may need to inspect the wiring from the TPS to the PCM. Make sure there are no shorted wires in the harness.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok anything else

Not right now. The return signal circuit for the TPS to PCM may be the issue shorting out VREF as we call it and causing the problem you have.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why does it idle fine

You are not shorting out VREF (Reference voltage) that the sensors need to send the proper signals back to the PCM.

The BROWN/WHITE striped wire should have 5 volts with the key turned on and the engine off. You should not have any voltage on the other two wires.

The GRAY/RED striped wire is signal return to the PCM.

Disconnect the battery, PCM and the TPS sensor and check and make sure none of the 3 wires are shorted together for the TPS sensor using and OHM meter or digital multimeter that can measure OHMS (resistance).

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance