Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

The power lift gate on my 2010 Ford Expedition Limited isn't

Customer Question

The power lift gate on my 2010 Ford Expedition Limited isn't functioning properly. It will power open with the remote or buttons, but won't power close. I have tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, but that didn't do anything. If you try to close the door as it is power opening (partially opened) with the key fob, it will just release the door from the power function and it will just continue to open manually.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Before you do anything else I would try to reset the lift gate system. I have enclosed the steps to do this in the link below. Run these steps and see if this will get this resolved for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Lift%20gate%20reset%20Oct%2017.pdf

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Ron,I have tried that in the past with no luck, but I will try it again and let you know the results. I'm not sure if it is helpful at all or not, but the last time I recall the power close working was the day I picked it up from the dealer which was 2 and half years ago. The door was open and I power closed it with the key fob. Right after that when I went to start it the battery was dead and it had to be boosted to start. I only mention this because I have read about some issues being caused by power closing the door with a low battery.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

A low battery can cause a loss of Initialization so that is the first thing you need to try. Let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried the reset process again but there was no change.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

Okay if that did not work then the next step is going to be to scan the system and see if what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting in the lift gate control module. If you can get me a fault code and or codes I can direct you from there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I just do that with a OBD II code scanner?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

To retrieve these codes you are going to need access to a full scan tool A code reader will not retrieve these.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will I have to take it to a Ford dealership to have that done, or do most mechanic shops have that ability? Is there any other way to diagnose it without the scan? Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.

Most automotive repair shops have the scan tool and can pull codes for you as well as the dealer .