david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

My 94 f350 460 5spd 4x4 starter will not crank. Starter

Hi! My 94 f350 460 5spd 4x4 starter will not crank. Starter checked out ok replaced solenoid. It will pull start but runs rough, temp gauge runs hot and battery light fi
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: yes battery test good, no I have not tested alt. but is that related to starter not cranking
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, it just quit last night, trailered it home.I have checked the battery and starter and replaced the solenoid.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the starter was replaced within the last 3 months, with a reman and has never sounded like the original.kind of high pitch when cranking, but I removed and had it tested at auto store, it tested good. the truck has around 100,000. miles.

Hi Im David, can you put a multi meter on the battery terminals and crank the vehicle and let me know what the voltage drops to when cranking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can not test it will not turn over.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have replaced battery it was very old.

replacing the battery took care of it? please accept the answer and leave me a 5 star rating if you were satisfied with my asistance. I hop that I was able to lead you in the right direction to fix your vehicle. thanks and have a good night

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No it still doesn't turn over, i am out of idea's.

ok. lets not give up.

it still doesnt turn over or it still doesnt crank?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct

which one? turning over mean its starting. cranking means its trying to start

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It doesn't turn over or crank.

ok. check for power at the starter with the key on. if you have power there, replace it. if you dont we move on to the starter relay.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok i will check again tommorow, i am sure i have power there.Where is the relay?

ill send you a pic

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks.

here

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
At the starter i have 12 volt in off and 9 volt in run and 1.5 volt in start position.

wow. its pull the voltage waaaaay down.

disconnect the starter. put the meter on the cable and the other lead to ground. see what your voltages are then

ill be back on in about an hour. gotta get home

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks,just came in,it's cold out and dark. I will check voltage tommorow.

ok sounds good.

any updates?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have 12 volt 2 volt in run position and .3 in start position all with positive lead unhooked from starter.

ok what about on the solenoid?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The external soleniod on the fender apron, i replaced. That is what clicks once when you attemp to turn it over.

and i believe there is a wiring issue there. either hooked up wrong or the wiring from it is damaged/shorted somewhere.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank, i will trace wires tommorow.

ok my friend

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
F350 running like a top ! The main ground to the engine was broken from age it was deteriorated.Thanks for all your help!

awesome!!! please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. good to hear!!!!! thanks