James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

I have a 2013 F150 XLT. I've replaced the base instrument

Customer Question

Hi Chris,
I have a 2013 F150 XLT. I've replaced the base instrument cluster with the one with productivity screen option. I've also replaced the shifter lever with the one with select shift option.
The "M" letter in the PRDM21 does not light up when selected. It used to be "3" in the original cluster.
Select shift doesn't work and there are no vertical speeds showing on the right hand side of the screen.
Any advice?
Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about the concern you are having. I wish I could give you a simple solution to this concern of yours but I can't. The transmission control module as well as body control module also play a role in this. For the few people that have had success it would have been cheaper than just to get a used vehicle with correct options you want then trying to make it work. The modules involved in the can network is just to complicated for plug an play operation anymore. The TCM most likely isn't programmed for the select shift option and can't be programmed without a TCM with it already programmed. Then you run into the problem where if there ever is a software glitch that requires reprogramming you will end up back at the beginning or it can turn your vehicle into a giant brick where it won't run at all. If that happens the only way to revive the vehicle is by as built with all the originals modules which gets very expensive as well. If your willing to pay the price people have been successful but it ends up costing much more then they every planned. Just something to keep in mind. I just wanted to give you a different perspective.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for the response. Just to clarify... are you saying that the solution would be reprogramming the TCM and BCM or that there is no solution to this concern?
Expert:  James replied 8 days ago.

I have seen little success to make this all work. The reason is Fords programming is very strict and impossible to trick the PCM. I actually saw an engineer write a custom program to go through Fords scan tool and it denied it as not being normal. The only way I see is working is to transfer over the BCM, Cluster, and TCM from a donor vehicle. That is the only way I can see you having the best outcome but there aren't any promises when it comes to that is the problem. Ford would rather you just go out and get a different vehicle so they get more money.