Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

My 2007 ford explorer is stuck in park at a store. is there

Customer Question

my 2007 ford explorer is stuck in park at a store. is there a way to override it so I can take it to ford to get repaired? I believe the part is under a recall
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: i think i have brake lights, no codes
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my husband is on his way home from out of town and i just want to get my car home so he can look at it when he gets here. Plus, I don't want to leave it in front of store
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thank u
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

Column shifter or floor shift?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Floor shift
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm not at my car right now
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

This can be caused by inoperative brake lights, a failed shift lock actuator or wiring concern. The problem will need to be diagnosed with several tests which involve checking brake lights, and then accessing the shift lock solenoid to test for power and ground. In the meantime until you can have it serviced the picture below explains how to override the shift lock so the vehicle can be driven.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

Here is the procedure for overriding the shift lock.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is the hole at the left bottom of the top cup holder? I just push down that hole with a screwdriver and move shifter at se time?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
34;Same time"
Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

You remove the cover and depress the shift lever, while stepping on brake pedal you should be able to move the shifter into neutral.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok, then start the car and proceed?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank u so much!!
Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

Your welcome

Expert:  Dan replied 5 days ago.

Please rate at the top of the screen and it would be appreciated, thanks! Let me know if you need any more help.