Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

How can I tell if I am having transmission issues or if it

Customer Question

How can I tell if I am having transmission issues or if it is the axle/CV. when turning left, I am getting a little slippage and there is a whining sound.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Axles do not usually cause this problem. Check the fluid level in the transmission. Low fluid could cause a whine and a slip as you are describing. Also check the fluid in the PTU. This is a common problem on the edge.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fluid level is fine. the reason I was thinking the axle, it because it sounded a little like metal teeth grinding at first...now more like a whine and it only happens when turning left.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

There are teeth on the axle where it enters into the trans. If the axles teeth were stripped, the trans will need to be remove to fix. This may also cause the vehilce to slip and not want to move.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

This is not a common problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.