Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Check engine light is flashing; accelerates rough; idles

Customer Question

Check engine light is flashing; accelerates rough; idles fine
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Blinks
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2009 F150 extended cab
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing; just started while I was out doing errands. Just had the oil changed a week ago. If it's an easy fix… I may be able to do it. I am a widowed woman who has limited automotive skills - it was my husband's truck .....
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of offhand
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 7 days ago.

Your check engine light flashing means the computer system is detecting a direct engine misfire usually due to either a failing coil and or a spark plug. When the light comes on and flashes the computer will detect the cylinder that is dropping out and set a fault code for that cylinder so you know where to start. In order to determine which cylinder is failing you are going to need to start first with having the computer system scanned and the fault code retrieved. Most auto parts store such as Auto Zone will do this scan for you at no charge. If you can get this done and post back with the results I can direct you in the correct repair.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks- will do
Expert:  Ron replied 7 days ago.

Post back here when you ready and we can work from there and thank you as well.