Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I bought a new set of fog lights for my 2009 Mustang. The

I bought a new set of fog lights for my 2009 Mustang. The new lights have CCFL rings that I want to wire up as daytime running lights. I don't want to just tap in to the parking light circuit, I want to wire the CCFL rings so that they are powered on when the engine is running without having to turn a switch on. Where in the under-hood fuse box can I find a circuit that is powered when the engine is running? If there isn't a circuit that is powered when the engine is running, where would I find a circuit that is on when the ignition is in run position?

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Does your vehicle already have DRLs?

Do you know how many amps these lights draw prior to splicing into a circuit and possibly overloading it?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hey Moose, my Mustang doesn't have factory DRL, but it has factory I-xenon HID headlights.
The inverters for the CCFL halo rings draw about 500mA each, and there are two, one for each ring.

There are alot of circuit you can use with that low draw amount. Will the red/yellow wire to the wiper motor work for you. It is only powered with the key in the run/accessory position.

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I think the wiper motor circuit should be fine, with the caveat that I live near Seattle, so I use the wipers a lot. Where is an easy location to find the wiper motor power supply line?

You would splice in at the wiper motor connector or the harness to the wiper motor.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks Chris. I have been out of town and haven't had a chance yet to use the diagram you sent to find the wiper motor power wire, but I am confident that will resolve my question.