AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2002 Ford mustang V6 automatic. 2, weeks ago the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford mustang V6 automatic. 2, weeks ago the alternator was changed ran fine for 2 hrs then the car died while driving it would crank but not start. After checking the wiring came to the conclusion it was the PCM I picked up a used programmed pcm. Changed the PCM called a locksmith to do a parameter reset for my keys and the car started worked fine for 2days then died again out of nowhere crank but not start. The old pcm wouldn't even show the milage when the car died it would show dashes. The new one is showing the milage reading my vin ETC.I brought the PCM I had just bought back to the place and asked them to test it they did and it was fine. So finally I towed the car to an electrical specialist who used to work for FORD he cannot find the problem. I don't want to bring it to the dealership but it looks like I have no choice do you have any suggestions on maybe what else I should ask the guy to check. I don't understand why when I replaced the computer it started and worked for 2 days and now the same problem. If it is a short why did it start with the new PCM at all? Please help being a girl many mechanics take advantage I don't that much about cars except to tell you all the ground wires are fine. Harness wires fine computer wires are all reading the voltage they should. I'm at a loss of what to do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Can I start by getting any stored codes in the computer and your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no codes coming up
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If there was a code it would be easy to diagnose. Right now my car is a an electrical repair shop but he can't find where the short is. I don't know if I should tow it to another place in the morning or just bring it to the dealership which will cost a small fortune unless maybe I can tell the guy what else to check
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is a short somewhere and it's not connecting the computer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But my old pcm could not be read at all not even my vin would come up with the new pcm the vin cones up etc that's it
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

YES, I can.. Some of the most common causes are a bad instrument cluster (which is common) and a bad sensor shorting out pulling the PCM down or off line. For exmaple, bad TPS, DPFE sensor or another sensor that gets a 5 volt reference from the PCM can short out and pull this 5 volt reference down to ground causing this problem.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Another possible cause is the CCRM shorting out causing this problem..

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The mechanic thinks the pcm I got was bad....the place I got it tested it and said it was good. I don't understand why the PCM (the one I picked up from eBay) if it's bad why it started my car and worked for 2 days. I'm afraid the mechanic is going to replace the PCM again and the same thing will happen it will die out of nowhere. The mechanic still has the car. He can't find a short anywhere and the people who gave me the PCM says it's good and there is a shory
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good! Thanks for the update! A bad new PCM is a possibility.. but it is possible that he is overlooked something simple as well. I would have him check the things I mentioned just to be sure.

I am glad I can help!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told that there was a broken wire in the harness. I'm still waiting to get the car back became they programmed the new pcm wrong. What I don't understand is why now none of the other PCMs aren't good. In other words if it was a broken wire and that was fixed then shouldn't my original pcm work or 2 one they I got (see original question)that started my car and worked for 2 days be good now.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

YES, thats correct. It should