Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Ok we got a 2005 6.0 powerstroke with low power has trouble

Ok we got a 2005 6.0 powerstroke with low power has trouble codes p0404 and p1408 i have already installed a good egr valve with nothing changed would really love it if you could help me get this thing back on the road thanks in advance!

Those two codes still point to a bad EGR. Are you getting a lot of black smoke?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nah not really i lil bit of white

A bad EGR usually blows black smoke. When you replaced the EGR what brand was used?

Was anything else replaced or cleaned out at the same time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took it out of another truck that is running good and no nothin els was replaced or cleaned just a new air filter

It sounds like the EGR is faulty or the passages underneath are clogged up.

If you have a scan tool you can look at the following and know for sure:

Check the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve position (EGRVP) voltage on the scanner Key On Engine Off (KOEO). It should read about 0.8v. If the voltage is abnormally high, remove the valve and clean any carbon from it and from inside the intake manifold. Reassemble and re-check operation. If the voltage is still incorrect or the valve will not close even after cleaning the carbon, replace the valve and re-check operation.

If the drivability and trouble codes are still present after cleaning the valve, monitor the EGRVP voltage along with the EGR command on the scanner. If the valve is opening when not commanded, again suspect a faulty EGR valve.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The egrvp voltage is 0.82 this is fine?

That's pretty normal. Maybe a little clogged.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok new valve same thing but i noticed it looks wet down in the verry bottom just all the soot looks shining and damp could the cooler be busted causing this problem and thies codes or wiring to the valve thanks in advance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Idk
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry ignore that last post

If it's wet down in the bottom then the EGR cooler is leaking.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but is that the low power and would that cause the EGR codes even with the new egr valve i get the same codes

I've only seen a leaking EGR cooler throw codes a couple of times. Most of the time it just makes low power and white smoke. The engine sucks the coolant in and burns it causing it to run really poorly.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Also, please don't forget to rate my service. Just Answer doesn't compensate us for our time if we don't get a positive rating.