Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

No power coming from my fuse box for my breaks so car won't

No power coming from my fuse box for my breaks so car won't get out of shift
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Lincoln town car 02
JA: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced at the boo switch and the shift interlock solenoid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Checked all the fuses and there good

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Do you have a test light or volt meter so we can do some testing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Excellent.

Fuse #32 has power you say or it just isn't blown?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it have power

Ok, they put another fuse in the system that should get power when you step on the brakes.

Fuse #20, a small 7.5 amp fuse. Please check the fuse and make sure it's getting power. It's in the same box.

Please check it and let me know.

Remember, it should only get power with the brake pedal pushed on

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No no power

Ok

This could actually mean the brake light switch is the problem and not the fuse or wiring.

You have to go under the dash and on the brake pedal bracket locate the brake light switch. Once you find it, check the tan/black stripped wire for power. If it has power, then press the brake pedal and check the red/light green wire for power. If you don't get any power on the red/lt green, the brake light switch is the problem.

Please check it out and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
None at all
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fuses # 20 22 24 26 all have no power

Ok

Now for the tricky part. If you can, locate the tan/black wire where it comes out of the fuse box. Check it for power there. If it has power, then the wire is broken. If it doesn't then you need to replace the fuse box.

This is a fairly common issue with the older fords.

As for the fuses with no power, they may only get power with the engine running, key on or headlights on. I don't know what those fuses go to. They don't go to the circuit we are working on, so they are not in the wiring diagram. Point is, they may have power at different times then the ones we are working on. You either have a broken power wire to the brake light switch or the fuse box has failed.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still not getting power from fuse box

Did you locate the wire coming out of the fuse box as I directed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah I run a hot wire to the boo switch and it's working now only thing I have to wiggle the pedal for the break lights to go off

Good deal, so I think you need to replace the fuse box. Again it's a common issue on these. As for the wiggling of the brake pedal. The brake light switch may be adjustable on these. I simply can't recall to be honest. IF you can, make an adjustment and the brake light should go out.

Thank you so much!