A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have a 2000 exhibition and I am having problems with

Customer Question

I have a 2000 exhibition and I am having problems with starting it. I had a sylenoid replaced twice a new battery a battery ends replaced. I have had the starter check and they said it was ok.. When I drive my truck and turn if off and try to start it right up sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont.. If I leave it for about an hour usually it will start...I am scared I am a single mother with no family members except for my mother I moved to where I live because my daughter is going through chemo and gets very sick I need to have my car but right now I am not working because no one is able to care for my daughter so money is tight.... Can you please help me.. Hillary
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Im sorry its a 2001 exhibition I just noticed I put 2000....My mind is crazy right now sorry
Expert:  A. Penland replied 11 days ago.

Ok. Just relax. And take a deep breath. It sounds like a bad starter, but check for the RED theft light on the dash. See if it is flashing rapidly when you try to start it and it does not crank over by the starter. If the light flashes rapidly, then you have an issue with the PATS key system. Your key has a chip in it that the vehicle needs to see to allow the vehicle to start. But if the light is not flashing rapidly, and the engine will not crank over, especially when the engine has warmed up, it may be the starter. When they get hot, they can fail and not allow the engine to crank over. But also, make sure it is not the transmission range sensor that only allows the engine to start in neutral or park. Move the shifter through the gears and then try to start the vehicle, both in park and neutral. If it does not help, then have the starter replaced.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I had followed all these steps prior and also had the starter checked so this does not answer any questions at all
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
This answer just ran over everything I did prior to this email....