Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles
45790705

I have 1 2008 Escape Hybrid that wont start. I replaced the

Customer Question

I have 1 2008 Escape Hybrid that wont start. I replaced the low voltage battery with a new battery - the old was only 2 1/2 years old and was completely dead. I even jump started the new battery for 30 minutes and could not get the car to start....
I have followed the high voltage 'jump' procedure, but the light on the high voltage momentary switch does not illuminate. I see the yellow wrench light - on cluster which is on all the time. Also, the display reads 'Stop Safely Now'. It seems like the anti-Theft light is confused - keeps blinking. I also needed to replace the battery on one of the key fobs. (PS - we had the hybrid cooling pump replaced last year as part of the recall). Is there a way to reset the anti-theft and/or hybrid system? Thank You! Bill
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey Bill how are you

You will need a Factory scanner or equivalent to be able to read the Hybrid module & anti theft module and clear the codes .

was the hybrid battery charge indicator low ,where you having problem with charge on HV battery?

why was the 12 volt battery changed ?

Try this procedure if scanner is not available

yes the blinking part is the alarm but is triggered because of low voltage sensed in system or there is a malfunction

a low battery on a key will cause the alarm to go off ,did you replace the remote battery yet?

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if cables dont reach

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi ChadThank you, ***** ***** try this manual procedure, need 60-90 minutes to do so.
(I have an OBE Scanner, but moved to an apartment & am trying to find it - if I do, I will also get codes)Answers to your questions:* was the hybrid battery charge indicator low ,where you having problem with charge on HV battery? - I did not notice an indicator. Last time ( 4 weeks ago), I used the car, the HV battery was working. As I try and start the car, the charging gauge shows that the HV battery is charging.* why was the 12 volt battery changed ? - the prior 12V battery was dead -verified by Advanced Auto Tester, they replaced it with a new battery @ no charge. I also tried charging (30 mins +) via jump charge and it would not hold (car gauges would not even work). 4 weeks ago, I had to jump start the car, drove it 15 minutes and then the car would not start.* a low battery on a key will cause the alarm to go off ,did you replace the remote battery yet? - my key fob battery did measure 'replace' on a tester & I did replace it with a new battery.I'll let you know how the master reset goes in 1-2 hours.Thank You

You welcome Bill

ok sounds good man , i m online daily from 10 am till late

now if the reset don't work , let me know and we can continue

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi ChadI am now at the car and have my PC to chat.I tried the reset procedure and the car still wont start.
Any thing else to try or any other details you need?ThanksBill P.

hey i m with you

have you tried unplugging the main circuit breaker from the hybrid battery & cut off all power from it to car ?

this switch in the picture i sent you

This the jump start switch ,

these are the specs for the HV battery and regural battery

do you have a voltmeter to check for 330 volts on the HV battery pack

you have to wear special gloves to test it , that is a lot of volts to touch so if you dont have globves dont do it

but we need to know trhe status of our HV battery

Item...............................................................Specification High Voltage Traction Battery Battery amps rating....................................................5.5 amp/hr Voltage................................................................330 volts Low Voltage Battery Battery amps rating.....................................................52 amp/hr Voltage.................................................................12 volts

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I change the trunk switch to disconnect. No luck
I am getting the anti-theft key light again.does the initial procedure (battery cables) reset all error codes?
should i try that again now?If I disconnected the high voltage - the voltage setting should not matter. I am ok in running the car in non-hybrid mode.
Very frustrating!The dealer wants $90 just to diagnose and I need to have the car towed there.

yes it want hurt to do again

I m afraid you are right alarm is on , but it is not resting .you will need a scanner to clear with or at least read what failed

it could have lost the sync in the key fob when you replaced battery

and this why , i would think that is what happened since car was fine and no indication of low charge on HV battery

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK, I will try the reset again.
will message you back if I have success, otherwise will go to my storage unit to look for the scanner
May be quite a whileThanks

I know man , i m sorry, Those HV batteries are hard to clear with out a scanner , i wish there is another way i can tell you about it .

i don't have to be dealer scanner just a scanner tha thas the HV battery software in it .

Good luck

Juts let me know when ready

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician

hey how are you ]

just checking to see if you still further need assistance on it

Chad

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi ChadAs mentioned, I need to get a code reader. Should have by Thursday.
This ticket is still 'Open' and I am not satisfied with the progress.
Sit tight while I get the code reader and I will reply back.
So far, this seems like trial & error - admittedly with some information I did not have at my fingertips.
I am trying to be true to the original process with the codes...
Otherwise, it seems like this is a 'Dartboard' approach, that isnt worth $38, a am OK with the $5 down.
Lets see how it goes, once I get the codes.
I am not knocking you.... but a am very leary of the process here & will reflect that in my feedback and via social media so others do not invest in false hopes. Again, lets see what the codes reveal.
Thank You
Bill P.

no problem , I will otp out of the question and let another expert help you

no worries , I will open up the question now

good luck

Chad

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks ChadI will respond back to the ticket on Thursday Oct 20RegardsBill P.