Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

I've been having an intermittent problem with my 2004 f250

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** been having an intermittent problem with my 2004 f250 with the 6.0 powerstoke. This problem started back in January, had it happen off and on for a few weeks. Then went away for months. It did it to me again back in may. My batteries needed changed and after I replaced them with me and cleaned the corrosion off the connections, I never had the issue come back. Until today 10/11/16. The issue is, intermittently the engine will have a low rough idle. It will idle fine at 650rpm then drop to around 450rpm and bounce back and forth like it's going to stall out. It never does stall out. When this is going on the accelerator pedal is unresponsive or just takes a while to respond. Shutting the engine off and then restarting later has been bringing it back to normal operatoration. I first thought was the accelerator pedal sensor is going bad, but I'm not sure if that is the cause or if the a purged factors at work. I change my oil regularly at 3k miles to 4K miles with delvac elite 10w30 semi syn. I was changing my fuel filters with every oil change but last time I changed them was in December of 2015. I plan to change them with my next service in a couple weeks. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: It was the first time in this truck.
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything to fix this issue. My batteries died on back its the end of May, and there was a lot of corrosion on the cable ends, I installed 2 new batteries and cleaned the cable ends. After that I have not had this idle/accelerator pedal issue. It just came back tonight after having no issues in 5monts. It first came about back in January.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I believe it's all there. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me where the ICP sensor is, is it in the right valve cover or down behind the left side of the turbo?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I believe it is on the right valve cover. I looked the icp sensor up and based in the pics I've seen, mine is on the right valve cover
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

Does it act up after running and warming up or just when you first start it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've had it act up when I get to a stop light and idle for awhile after I've gotten off the interstate. Also when I've drove a few miles at 25-35mph and idle at a drive thru, I turn my thing off when I place my order, then the problem arises after I start it back up. Starts fine. Majority of the time it has happened has been on quick trips to the grocery store or a fast food restaurant.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like the EGR valve is gummed up and sticking open periodically, I would suggest you replace it with a new part, as we have never had good luck cleaning them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did an egr delete this summer. The egr cooler is removed and the erg valve is also removed but still plugged in.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

When it acts up and loses power is there a noise coming from under the hood that sounds like a cough?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. it just idles strange and sounds like it's going to stall. Rpm drops to around 500 to 450 then back up to 650. The idle is not steady. When it is doing this the accelerator pedal is unresponsive. If I stepped on the pedal a few times I will sometimes allow it to work but not fully, and I can only go about 10 mph for a bit and then it will act normal. But if I stop again it will start all over again. Shutting the engine off for a few minutes seems to reset it and then it will behave normal. No check engine lights when this is going on either.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

You may have a failing IDM module, how does it start when cold?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's the FICM right?
It starts just fine. I always wait for the glow plugs to warm up and I usually let my engine warm up before I drive it. Last evening when it started it was about 34°F I let it warm up for a few minutes and then drove to a couple blocks to Walmart. And left it running when I went in to get a few things. I was in for about 7mins. When I came out it was acting up. I could hear the engine sounding like it was going to stall. I get in and the accelerator pedal is unresponsive. I shut the engine off for a few minutes. And then stated it. It started normal. Still was doing the strange idle, I was able to rev it up. I held it and 900 for a minute. I started to drive it out of the parking lot and when I got to the light it started acting up and the accelerator pedal was completely unresponsive. I had to shut it off for a couple minutes, started it back up, started fine, step on the pedal and was able to move. Pulled into another parking lot to get away from traffic. Accelerator pedal was working but lagging. When I stopped it was idling strange and I had to step on the pedal a few times to get it to go, slowly. I pulled into a spot and shut it off for about 5-7mins. Started it back up and drove home with no issues.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

Yes the FICM is the IDM, these trucks had a problem with wire harnesses, they were wrapped to tight from factory and this caused them to short out internally. from what you describe I think you are having some sort of electrical issue which can be hard to pinpoint.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you for your help. I wanted to get information on what the issue could be before taking it to a shop and get charged diag and it most likely wouldn't act up on them. I'm a diesel mechanic myself but Im still new to the industry and I work in semis. I just started my truck it is 45° outside to let the engine warm up before I go to work. Started normal and is running at 800rpm. Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 month ago.

You are more than welcome, thanks for using justanswer.