Mat
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel
49638932

I have a 2005 Ford F150 4x4 5.4L while going down the road

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford F150 4x4 5.4L while going down the road my truck slowed down and I thought it stalled. I put it in neutral to restart it but it was still idling I pushed down on the accelerator it did nothing. The wrench warning light came on in my dash. By then I was at a red light I put it back in drive and my truck coasted through the light. I turned into a drive way after I got through the light. I shut it off. It would start back up but still no rpms when I stepped on the gas peddle just idle. I shut it off and did a google search for the problem it said it could be a TPS unit and showed me where it was but I could not get to it to take it out. A person came out of his house to help me and looked at it. We discovered my air filter was not the correct one and it had a big gap where air would get into the engine without being filtered. He suggested we use a carb cleaner or some kind of cleaner to sprayed it on I think MAP? sensor. After about 30 minutes and after spraying cleaner on the sensor it started up and I my gas peddle worked again. I drove home 40 minutes without a problem and the wrench light on dash went out. I am handicapped and in a wheel chair so I don't want to get stranded again. I have a friend coming over with a diagnostic reader to see if it will show anything but if the wrench light is not on in the dash is there anything I should check or replace. Sorry for the long story Ben
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mat replied 4 months ago.

Hi Ben I would like to help you out. If the wrench light came on there will be a stored Diagnostic Trouble Code in memory. So even though the light is off now there will still be a code for the previous fault that caused the issue. This is what we call a soft fault or memory code. That code will help us with diagnostic. The person that came over to your house and was using carb clean to spray was most likely trying to clean to throttle body or air intake. Spraying a Map sensor or MAF sensor with carb cleaner directly will damage the sensor so hopefully that is not what he did. There is special MAF cleaner that must be used to clean those sensors or else damage to the hot wire will occur. As far as the air filter not fitting correctly, that is a common issue with these f150's. The drawer that the filter sits in and slides into the housing with the air filter generally warps at the bottom edge and the foam falls off. This will eventually result in a lean DTC but will not affect the wrench light or lack of throttle response. The throttle body has a TPS, throttle position sensor on it where inside there is actually two tps sensor signals. One signal should mirror the other signal. If for some reason the two tps signals do not match the vehicles electronic throttle control is shut down to an idle only mode. Remember is no cable from the throttle pedal to the throttle body anymore. this is all done electronically. You gas pedal is now what we call an accelerator pedal position sensor. APP for short. This also has two sensors inside of it that mirror each other. again if they fail to mirror each other the system is shut down so there is no safety concerns or accidents caused by a failure in the electronics. Your first step will be to pull codes, if its TPS or APP related you should be able to replace the tps sensor or accelerator pedal. If the code is for throttle stuck open, stuck closed, slow response then that indicates a failure with the elctric motor on the throttle body and the throttle body should be replaced. (which includes a new TPS). Typically we find it is the throttle body that is the failure in this situation. If you have any other questions, concerns or want to update me with your codes once they are pulled let me know and I can answer any other questions you may have. Thanks