Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a 1996 F250 PowerStroke 7.3L Diesel with dual tanks.

Customer Question

I have a 1996 F250 PowerStroke 7.3L Diesel with dual tanks. I recently had the fuel pump replaced. Now only the rear tank works. When I switch to the front tank the gauge does not move. The fron t tank is full. So I am concluding that it is not switching over to the front tank. What could possibly be the problem(s)?
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: This is the second time with in a year that I had to replace the fuel pump. Both were big and expensive jobs. They said they had to remove the turbo to get to it. (two different shops).
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I did not. And have not tried anything except to ask the shop that did the work if there was any correlation. They said no.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 13 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In your fuse panel check fuses 6 (15 amp) and 17 (10 amp) and make sure they are both o.k.If one is blown this can cause this issue here.If these are o.k. there is a component called a fuel tank selector valve which determines which fuel gauge sender is used.This tank selector valve can fail and cause this issue if it is reading is also possible that the front tank fuel sender has failed in the tank needing replaced or that there is broken or damaged wiring leading to the front tank sender.This is a dark blue wire with yellow stripe and a black wire for this sender signal at the front tank.You can disconnect this wiring and if the tank is near fully at the front test between the two wires at the sender at the tank for around 145 ohms.It should read around 145 ohms when it's a full tank all the way down to 22 ohms with an empty tank.If it is reading incorrectly then the front tank sender needs replaced.

The shop that did the work may have damaged some wiring and not known of it.It may be a good idea to have a different repair facility inspect this to see if the first shop did cause this and if they did then they can see what needs done to correct it and you can speak to the first shop to see if they will cover the costs.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete