Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

2010 Ford Fusion 4 cylinder soft brakes. Brake pedal goes

Customer Question

2010 Ford Fusion 4 cylinder soft brakes. Brake pedal goes all
The way to the floor. Can't drive
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Did you bleed all the air out of the system? did you bench bleed the master cylinder? How did you bleed the system if you did?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
bleed all four sides and also bleed the abs module with the scan tool but I did not bench bleed master. How is that done?

There is a couple of things I'd like to see you do, bench bleed the master , but now it's mounted you can do it on the vehicle I'll explain how in a min, the other thing is to Vaccumm bleed it because some systems are real finicky to do. One question , are all the parts you used after market or OME factory original new parts?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Abs module was from another vehicle brakes were new

new but OME or after market?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
brakes were from advance auto parts the premium pads

Ok that ads another perspective. What happens if you pump the brakes up do they come up or not?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When this happened we assumed it was the front brakes so we changed them but the problem still existed then we changed the rear brakes even thou both front n rear brakes were not out.So we thought to bleed all from the calipers. Found out The right front brake line was damaged so we replaced that and pursued with bleeding but the brakes are still very soft. When applying the brakes it goes all the way to the floor yes it does come back up.

ok you only replaced the one caliper right? How many miles are on this car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we only changed right front caliper. It's got 120, 000 miles
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
also when bleeding. There is no pressure in the right front and left rear calipers oil would just drip when bleeding. But the left front and right rear are good

ok YOU DON'T HAVE ANY EXTERNAL LEAKS AND WILL PUMP UP . tRY THIS AND LET ME KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.pUMP THEM UP AND HOLD PEDAL DOWN AND SEE IF THAT STAYS UP OR BLEEDS DOWN. hOLD IT FOR ABOUT 1-2 MIN.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When the car is off the brake holds up after pumping Several times but when the car is running brakes just goes all the way down.

are you loosing fluid from the reservoir?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I've checked throughly and did not see any leaks not from the reservoir nor the abs pump

Thanx for that info.So you don't see any external leaks, and it does pump up , I am assuming you have an internal leak in the master cylinder.Sometimes they sit too long on the shelf and seals dry and shrink. then they can leak internally as well as suck air in on the release. But beware you could run into the same problem getting another one from the same source.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK I guess I'll try to change that master cylinder again. Can you show me the bench bleed method
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey peter, I ordered a new master cylinder from Ford and benched bled it before putting on too but I'm still having same issues. We bleed from the calipers too but no luck. I really don't know what to do anymore.thanks

The ABS was from another vehicle? I just was looking at some other forums and your not the only one with this issue on that model.I would collect info from others with the same issue and call FORD customer service and see what they say It looks like it's a defect in the ABS pump or valving system. I will send you a link with a forum so you may see others with the same problem.As I am unable to help you at this time please just ignore ratting me and you shouldn't be charged.I hope you find an answer for this and I would like to hear what it is. Good luck. http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/8823-low-brake-pedal-wont-go-away/