Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

My 04 Freestar has had the computer replaced and the starter

Customer Question

My 04 Freestar has had the computer replaced and the starter and the battery prior to that. all the fuses checked, all the accessible grounds checked but when I turn the key to the on position and try and crank the engine I can hear the fuel pump under the door cycling on and off, the vent motors going on and off as well as all the lights flicker, headlights and interior included. It clicks like the starter is trying to function and it doesn't start
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: The interior lights stay on, the dash dims and lightens, and the exterior lights blink
JA: Are you fixing your Freestar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery, new starter, new ECU and all fuses inspected and traced the visible grounds
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The van is in mostly good shape and has no rust really, the computer malfunctioned about a year ago due to the windshield being replaced, we removed it, cleaned the connectors, and let it dry out and re-installed it. It worked fine until the van quit a few months ago and we thought it was the ECU again, so we changed it. It has been sitting since it broke a few months ago
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. So just to clarify this , the problem is the starter is not cranking the engine right?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The engine is not cranking, but the starter was just replaced so I don't believe the starter is the issue

Lets not assume anything, was this replacement starter a new or rebuilt starter?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It is a new starter, not a rebuild

ok thank you , one last question is yours a automatic or standard transmission?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It is an automatic

This is what you need to do , check the connections at the heavy lead from battery to starter for tightness, then check battery ground both ends a.from battery to engine. Then check for voltage at the small solenoid wire at the starter solenoid when key is turned to start position. Let me know what you find. I will include a diagram of your starter circuit.

If it's an automatic try moving the shiftier in different positions while holding key to start and foot firmly on the brake.