Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

Have 1993 SHO 3.2 Hard to start sometimes, when it cranks

Customer Question

Have 1993 SHO 3.2 Hard to start sometimes, when it cranks sometimes it is as if the engine locks up. After trying to start several times, it will finally catch and start normally. Get no error codes from the computer.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 162000 miles- no code reader. Had it at dealer they did not find anything
JA: What is the model of your '93 Ford?
Customer: /////////Taurus
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no have had several shops look at it to no avail
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** that there are no internal engine issues most of the time this is caused by a failure in the starter, a failing battery cable, or a problem with the crank sensor. Most of the time if the crank sensor is not reading correctly this will occur. I would definitely test the starter and the cable first. If those are fine then the crank sensor would be the culprit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have new battery and cables. When the crank sensor went out before. the engine would turn over fine, just not fire. Must be something else. thanks
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 1 month ago.

A crank sensor can fail and not read at all, but it can also send the wrong signal and cause the timing to be off and cause this. Was the starter replaced?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
starter not replaced

I would check the voltage going to the starter when the problem occurs to see it is getting voltage. If it is then the it is bad. If not then there is a problem with the control circuit.