Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Power steering was out, dealer says it is because of low

Customer Question

power steering was out, dealer says it is because of low tire pressure. I can't wrap my head around why that makes sense
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: no whining, just went out and the "service power steering immediately" light came on while driving it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2011 fusion hybrid
JA: Are you fixing your Fusion Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no it is at the dealer - has a warrantee
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am just trying to find out if this is correct because I really find it hard to believe that low tire pressure could cause the power steering to just go out like that. The tire pressure light was not even on.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Were the tires near flat, any of them?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, and the tire pressure light was not even lit up.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
did I give the answer you needed?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Usually your tires would have to be fairly flat in order for it to cause the steering to fail like this here suddenly.I dont think low tires would have caused this unless they were flat almost.You will probably have to contact Ford customer support to see if there is anything they can do to get this covered under warranty.They can communicate with the dealer to see what they can get figured out on this but slightly low tires will not cause this fault.I suspect it failed due to an internal premature failure not caused by tire issues.

Here is their contact number

1(###) ###-####/p>

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete