Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Ac condensed water only drains when engine stops, passenger

Customer Question

ac condensed water only drains when engine stops, passenger side is flooded
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: is ok
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Edge 2011
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The blower had to be changed, i removed the old one and installed a new one
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just water coming in to the passenger side, and the water only come out of the drain when the engine stops.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

That's odd, have you tried cleaning out the hose with compressed air, like abut 10 psi or tried replacing that drain hose?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Here is a diagram of the hose,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Drain works when engine is off, but it doesn't when is running
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Yeah, I read that. I said that is odd.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Are you sure the passenger side is flooded from evaporator drain water and not something else?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it could be a negative pressure that holds the water and then overflows
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

The water is from the evaporator coils sweating and there is no pressure jus dripping. Maybe something just isn't put back together correctly and either the engine cooling fan or the wind from driving is pushing the water into the vehicle. I would take it back apart and see what is wrong.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
water comes from ac. In the driver's side is hose, I put that hose in an empty bottle, while engine was running nothing came out, but as soon as I turned off the engine the water flowed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Did this leak before the blower motor was replaced?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't tell you because I have plastic covers and only saw the problem last week when i removed the covers to vacuum the carpet. the old motor was kind of rusted I remember, but i can't tell you if it was leaking before.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I replaced the old one because was working erratically
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my first approach was unclog the drain line. I used an air compressor and an inverted vacuum and then I realize that the water freely flows only when I turned off the engine. What can be stopping the water when the car is running? A month ago the car was rear ended, is it possible that something came apart because of it and the radiator fan or the very ac blower is creating a negative pressure that keep the condensed water from drain?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

The radiator fan? That is no where near the evaporator and drain hose.

Like I said before I think, "Maybe something just isn't put back together correctly and either the engine cooling fan or the wind from driving is pushing the water into the vehicle."

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I found a video in youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeI-TzmwmNo, if the drain isn't the problem I think something like this should be done.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
could a collision from rear make certain damage to the evaporator enclosure in front causing a leaking water inside?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

I doubt if a rear end collision would cause damage to the evaporator area.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Something like what should be done? That video is 22 minutes long, at what minute:second are you talking about?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the condenser is in a compact unit together with the heater, etc; under the dashboard, so to get there you have to remove the center console, the steering column, the dashboard, and something else
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

No, the evaporator is there, the condenser is in front of the radiator.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i am just looking for advice, I think you know what the problem is; what you think could be the cause and what would be the solution for the problem
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Are you saying you think I know the problem and won't tell you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
don't get me wrong, i'm not accusing you of anything, i'm just wondering if you know why is the water leaking in to the compartment, then you can find the solution. It is the Ford evaporator assembly. What you think is going wrong there?http://dz310nzuyimx0.cloudfront.net/strapr1/9e611f5c399edc751a1efd3ede15c545/38ae4b25518534dd2284031fa3ffebf4.png
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

I already told you what I thought.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you mean this: "The radiator fan? That is no where near the evaporator and drain hose.Like I said before I think, "Maybe something just isn't put back together correctly and either the engine cooling fan or the wind from driving is pushing the water into the vehicle."
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Yes, the second part.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Since it happens also when the car is parked and the radiator fan is too far; so the solution will be to check the installation of the blower assembly. Thanks for your advice.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

You are welcome!

Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I followed your recommendation, when I came home from work first turned off the vents fan, but the water didn't come out, then I turned off the ac system, but nothing neither happened; it was only when I turned off the engine when the water came out of the drain. So when the engine is on, the water flood the passenger compartment; and as soon as you turn off the engine the water comes out of the drain. What's happening here?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 5 months ago.

I have no idea! This is really odd.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your sincerity, it won't help at all; but as an attitude it really deserves respect. Thanks
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 months ago.

Is it water or coolant that is leaking on the floor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 months ago.

what happens if you turn off the AC system with the engine still running?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 months ago.

That is strange, if it was condensation from the evaporator core it should run out as soon as the heater is turned off. When the liquid runs out is there and odor? and when driving does a film form on the windows inside?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's just water, a lot of water.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 months ago.

Try this for me, unplug the AC compressor electrical connector so the compressor doesn't run, then drive and let me know if it leaks water then

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If AC is turned off, of course, it won't be water to drain. The problem is that when the engine is running the water from the ac won't come out till the engine is stopped, then the water freely drains.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 months ago.

Okay, I understand. There has to be something out of place and blocking the water drain while air is being pushed into the heater case, It looks like the only way to find and fix the problem is to remove the heater case and inspect it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeI-TzmwmNo ?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 months ago.

Yes that would be how you remove it, okay video but it is to fast to really see the steps.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the car was rear ended about two months ago. Do you think that impact could make enough damage internally and be the cause of this malfunction?