Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Master tech
84635724

My wife took her car to Oil Can Henry"s for an routine oil

Customer Question

My wife took her car to Oil Can Henry"s for an routine oil change. Upon completion of the oil change, my wife drove off. After about a mile or so, she heard the car making a very weird noise. She took the car back to the same shop and found that the oil filter had blown off and all the oil was lost. The shop told her that it was a worn part and they could not fix it. I towed the car to a Ford service at a dealer and they replaced the part stating that the oil filter had been put on the car crossed threaded and that's why it blew off under pressure. It cost me $186.91 to get it fixed. After leaving the Ford repair shop, we proceeded to drive home. After driving about 68 miles, the car started making a very loud sound and was undrivable. I had the car towed to our home by AAA which was 99.7 miles and after relating to the mechanic what had caused all these problems, he checked the filter and the oil in the car. The filter was good and the car was still full of oil. He stated that when the car blew the filter off and lost the oil, the motor became too hot and thus caused the bearings to seize. He also stated that the damage was already done but did not present itself until we drove for a distance. I talked to Oil Can Henry's and they told me that they will refund the oil change but are not going to pay for the other damages. I have am estimate for a engine replacement for $6000.00 but the car is only worth about $2000.00. I don't have the money to get it fixed, nor do I have the money to buy a new car. Oil Can Henry's should have to pay the damages or at least buy a comparable vehicle for my wife. I have to take her to and from work now everyday and it's costing me a lot of time and money. Do I need to get an attorney to sue then for all this money?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mastertechuk replied 1 month ago.

Hi im kevin yes you will need to sue it deffinatly sounds as though they have caused this issue .you will need a written report from ford confirming that the filter had been cross threaded

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the part here with me and it is cross threaded. I also have the mechanic that fixed it stating that "Noted damaged threads on oil filter mounting shaft". Do I need to hire a lawyer or can I just go to small claims court by myself? I just want either my car fixed or a replacement that is comparable.

Because of the amount a would go to small claims court