Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

1995 Ford E350 box truck taillights and box light does not

Customer Question

1995 Ford E350 box truck taillights and box light does not work.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. If none of your tail lights and brake lights are noy working pull up the scuff plates on the drivers side to trace the wiring back to the left front kick panel and the connector to the rear wiring.Check for power when you turn lights on and off at the terminals with a test light.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The truck sat for a few months because I had to replace the torque converter. Once I got it running again, the brake lights work, the signal lights work, and the flashers work. No tail lights and lights around the top of the box. The light in the front work when I pull the switch. Strangely, they have worked twice since I have had this problem. They worked last night on my way home. I have traced wires all the way up to kick panel

thanx for that info, I understand better now , it;s the tail light circuit that's not working, Have you checked the tail light fuse? If it's ok then you can still do as I originaly sugested to go to the connector in the left front kick panel and check for power going to the back

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Had been out of town. Not sure which fuse id the taillight one, but i checked them all. I will check the connector behind the kick panel

do you have power to any one of the tail light sockets when switch is on? then if you do you may have lost a body ground to that circuit. lets check that.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where are the grounds located

first lets see if you have power to the sockets

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No power to socket when switch is on

ok thanx for the info. look for thar connecter in the kick panel and check for power there

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that connector for the taillights only.

no it't will have all the lights for the rear going threw it.just probe your test light in each hole to find if one comes on and off with the light switch. if it don't then we have to go back to the switch itself. if it does then we go further down line to the rear. This is what you do to find a circuit without a wiring diagram.doing it this way will not blow a fuse.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
For your info, i have tried replacing the switch, did not fix the problem, so i reinstalled the old one. Also, there is a single red wire that comes off of a group of wires close to the back of drivers seat that runs to rear of truck. I traced it and it goes to rear right side then goes up toward lights at top of box. It is hot all the time.

well if it's hot all the time that isn't what your looking for, have you tried the connector yet

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just checked, there are 4 wires coming out of connector. One is hot, and nothing happens with the other 3 when i pull the switch on
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Early this morning the lights worked. Drove to Walmart, turn them off, then back on, they still worked. Turned them off and back a 2nd time , they did not come back on.

mmm that sounds like possibly a sticking tail light relay check that out or just replace it they are not expensive.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Which one is the tail light relay

can I get back to you need to pick up my grand daughter.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok

try this; turn off and on head lights Liston for click under hood by your battery, that clicks your tail light relay. It has 4 wires in it. with head lights on 3 wires should be hot. if only 2 wires are hot replace relay.