Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My brake controller does not seem to be working properly.

Customer Question

my brake controller does not seem to be working properly. The trailer connected disconnected keeps coming on with no trailer attached
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: F250 2007 superduty
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: put light on output I see the brake conroller output come on intermittently without pressing brake
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: I recently had work done on the brakes if there is air in line or low brake fluid could that do it?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I have seen issues with corroded or damaged trailer plug at the vehicle or wiring at the plug or leading to the plug that sends false info that the trailer is connected and disconnected and causes this fault here.I would have the trailer plug in on the vehicle as well as its wiring leading to the plug in on the vehicle checked for any shorts,corrosion or damage needing repaired or replaced.This is the most common cause for this fault here.

If this is checked and found to be o.k. the next thing that needs checked is to have the fault codes checked/read out with a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your model to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault.It is also possible this is a fault with the ecu for the trailer brake system but most of the time it is the connector or wiring at the rear of the vehicle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete