Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

My dash lights are out on my 2002 tbird,but when I put

Customer Question

My dash lights are out on my 2002 tbird,but when I put voltage on it the lights come on
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model of your '02 Ford?
Customer: T bird
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: That's all I've tried
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've been told it could be dimmer or headlamp switch
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 17 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

When you say dash, you mean the instrument cluster?

Do the other interior illumination bulbs power up when the head or parking lights are on?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
they work, again when an other power scores is applied the cluster they light up,the power scores I'm talking about comes from the parking lights,again I'm not sure about the headlamp sw. Or the dimmer sw. When you rotate the dimmer sw. You can't feel the detent in the sw.isn't working, I feel if the cluster were bad or had bad grounds , why would it light up when power is applied ?
Chris, the cluster lights up when power is applied , where does the power to light up the cluster come from ? No I did not rule out the headlight dimmer switch. .If the cluster were bad, why will it light up when power is applied ? This power is not the original power source ,could the headlamp switch or dimmer switch cause this problem ? For $28 l need more info !. Maybe the power. Scorse to the cluster has a problem,,I was told the power to the cluster does not come from a certain module,also I might add the head lights on auto don't turn off, I certainly hope you can help me with this problem, thank you !